POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

There is a very good movie about a group of boys in the 1950's that played around in rocketry, a true story, one of them became a NASA engineer. I would recommend this movie to anyone looking for good, wholesome, Family friendly entertainment for all ages. The Movie is "October Sky" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0132477/ Excellent Movie released in 1999.

There is a very good movie about a group of boys in the 1950's that played around in rocketry, a true story, one of them became a NASA engineer. I would recommend this movie to anyone looking for good, wholesome, Family friendly entertainment for all ages. The Movie is "October Sky" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0132477/ Excellent Movie released in 1999.
Excellent movie! Definitely recommended.

On other news... I will never grown up...

JT-JP1.jpeg
My Jeep.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve owned this 6” rotary table for a couple decades but seldom used it because setup just took too long. I’m on a mission to correct that.
The first accessory is this set of locating pins to align the table to the spindle and the work on the table.
Next is a fixture plate to make clamping easier. I haven’t decided on a design for this and have been scouring YouTube for ideas. I’m thinking 8” diameter (2” larger than the table). No pattern jumps out at me for the holes. Suggestions welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_2534.jpeg
    IMG_2534.jpeg
    481.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2535.jpeg
    IMG_2535.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2536.jpeg
    IMG_2536.jpeg
    309.8 KB · Views: 14
I’ve owned this 6” rotary table for a couple decades but seldom used it because setup just took too long. I’m on a mission to correct that.
The first accessory is this set of locating pins to align the table to the spindle and the work on the table.
Next is a fixture plate to make clamping easier. I haven’t decided on a design for this and have been scouring YouTube for ideas. I’m thinking 8” diameter (2” larger than the table). No pattern jumps out at me for the holes. Suggestions welcomed.
I did radial holes. But no matter what, the holes just aren't going to be in the right place! I had to drill some extra holes since I couldn't clamp the part correctly without the holes. So whatever floats your boat, as they say. I have a 6" table as well. I made an 8" top for it. I bought a blank MT2 arbor with a 32mm diameter stub on it (from Little Machine Shop) and machined it to the correct diameter. I use the protruding arbor to locate the center of the table (and the fixture plate). Haven't bothered with other locating pins for the rotary table since I locate on the arbor.
1720706390241.jpeg
1720706141604.jpeg
I set the fixture plate up on spacers so I could drill all the holes through. Makes cleaning later a lot easier without blind holes.

Last edited:
did you chamfer your slots in the table like that? I don't believe mine have more than a slight relieving.

I think a riser for the table so that your 8" plate will work without any issues is in order. That's how I plan to do mine when the time comes.

edit: Mine are just like yours. I didn't think they were that chamfered.

Last edited:
@DeadGuyAle – nice work. What color is that on the Clausing?
@OCJohn
Paint color is Clausing green. Had it color matched from a small cover under the head, never been in the sun and was protected from chips and oil.
Not sure I would recommend this sherwin-Williams paint. Time to fully cure is months on smooth surfaces. Tail stock is close to fully cured after 14 months, may have been a bit heavy handed on the application though.
IMG_8458.jpeg

@OCJohn
Paint color is Clausing green. Had it color matched from a small cover under the head, never been in the sun and was protected from chips and oil.
Not sure I would recommend this sherwin-Williams paint. Time to fully cure is months on smooth surfaces. Tail stock is close to fully cured after 14 months, may have been a bit heavy handed on the application though.
View attachment 496704
wrong paint. I would have used the industrial paint. When you apply these, it's best to thin them a little for brushing and do light coats. Wait 24-48 hours, then recoat. And your prep is most important
I clean thoroughly, Mineral Spirits to clean, then if I can, I boil in a TSP solution to release the oil in the pores. Then I rinse and hit it with mineral spirits to prevent flash rust. That's what I do.

I like Rustoleum after using the Sherwin Williams product. While they color match, I find price/performance to be in Rustoleum's favor.

Last edited:
Back