POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

@ivel03
I'm not familiar with your mill. Is the handwheel, partially shown on the right, the standard Z axis control or for something else?

I’m taking nails out of wood trim removed from our house during renovation. Made a quick tool out of a mold ejector pin and some tube salvaged from a shoe rack. Works nicely to straighten the nails and drive the head out.
aac858d64408885c5a2faf373b4069c0.jpg

I’m taking nails out of wood trim removed from our house during renovation. Made a quick tool out of a mold ejector pin and some tube salvaged from a shoe rack. Works nicely to straighten the nails and drive the head out.
aac858d64408885c5a2faf373b4069c0.jpg
I just pull them out through the back, it doesn't ruin the appearance face, like driving it out from the back.
I use an end cutting wire cutter.

I just pull them out through the back, it doesn't ruin the appearance face, like driving it out from the back.
I use an end cutting wire cutter.

I’ve been doing that with the thinner ones. I have a great set of vice grips for that approach. Maybe I’ll try it on the big ones.

I’ve been doing that with the thinner ones. I have a great set of vice grips for that approach. Maybe I’ll try it on the big ones.
Is that trim painted, or just wall paint slobbered (word choice = due to that being a pet peeve of mine! lol) onto the trim?

If it's painted, easy enough to spackle and paint over after it's installed. If it's stain/varnish, a little harder to fix damage. Pulling through might mean less overall damage...

Is that trim painted
It’s all stained oak, and I’m not reusing it as trim, just saving it for other projects. I’ll put some time into pulling nails through and see how that works out. I appreciate the guidance.

Playing with Silver steel today...... Making a start on machining the custom cross slide screw for my extended travel mod for the 7x I am rebuilding. Making the threaded section over length for now.

It will be 3/8" 20TPI L/H so I can use the original imperial dials I managed to source via LMS and imported.

Once threaded, I can start on the boss end. Once that is done, I can machine the carrier boss, once I have the die I need...

Also need to make a metric one, so I maintain the two options (Imperial or metric), the same as I am with the compound and leadscrew.

SAM_0047.jpg

Last edited:
Your bearings bad ? That looks crooked !;)

The crank looks great :encourage:

Back