POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

No, I think he’s right. The bottom die is fixed and the ram pushes against it bringing a second sliding frame and top die down. At least that’s my take.

ok, I hope the feet don't get crushed at the bottom if that's the case. Seems like you would not be watching below if your concentration were above.

I thought about feet too but looking at it again just now it appears the base of the frame may already be affording a partial barrier. It’s a bit hard to visualize from the front but judging by where the trip pedal is (at the left front of the base angle) the operator would be standing well back from the guillotine action. A guard might still be an added safety though. Maybe that’s still coming…

Upside down? How do you rest the piece to set it for striking?
No, it's a scissors box design. The middle cross beam is fixed to the outside legs. The inner box slides up and down. So when the ram extends it pushes on the lower cross beam, which slides the inner box down, pulling the top beam against the middle beam.

I need details!
Do you have a build thread for that?
No, I didn't think to make a thread, but I can give some details. It's a 5 in cylinder, 3000 psi, which generate ~ about 30 tons.
I wanted a design that wasn't top heavy (so cylinder on the bottom, not top) but where the height of the work piece wouldn't change. Eventually I realized that a sliding box design would do that.
I also didn't want to have to buy a pump and tank, so I figured out how to hook it to the aux hydraulics of the bobcat.
Started it about 6 months ago, working on it for an hour or two when I got free time.

Last edited:
Are you sure it looks like the bottom moves and the top is fixed.
Depends on what you call the top. The top of the cylinder is fixed to the middle beam. The top and bottom beams are connected, so when it pushes the bottom beam down, the top beam is pulled down against the middle beam.

I thought about feet too but looking at it again just now it appears the base of the frame may already be affording a partial barrier. It’s a bit hard to visualize from the front but judging by where the trip pedal is (at the left front of the base angle) the operator would be standing well back from the guillotine action. A guard might still be an added safety though. Maybe that’s still coming…
That's a good thought. I hadnt really thought about something being squished under the bottom bar. But I dont think my feet will be at risk. The pivot for the pedal actuator is about 2 ft in front of sliding components, so the closest part is still ~18inches away. Your weight bearing / right foot, would be out side of the frame, so even further than 2 ft away.

That's a good thought. I hadnt really thought about something being squished under the bottom bar. But I dont think my feet will be at risk. The pivot for the pedal actuator is about 2 ft in front of sliding components, so the closest part is still ~18inches away. Your weight bearing / right foot, would be out side of the frame, so even further than 2 ft away.
just put some expanded screen from the floor to the bottom crossmember in it's up position. Both sides so no one gets hurt.. shouldn't be too hard, and then you can also see into that area.

A Ford 302/5.0 with alum. heads, intake, and water pump weighs the same as the original cast iron 6. I have two TR 6's one is getting a 5.0, and the other a V-tech Honda 4, which is again the same weight, but more than double the hp, 4 valve, double overhead cam, and extremely efficient. Mike

Back