POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I also didn't want to have to buy a pump and tank, so I figured out how to hook it to the aux hydraulics of the bobcat
Wasn't obvious to me from the picture that using the bobcat was how you were powering it. I stupidly assumed the handle and pedal were a hand (foot) pump mechanism. Looking at the picture again, it does look more like a control valve rather than a pump, with the elbows to remote lines still capped. Using the hydraulics off that makes a lot more sense. I may steal that idea, in my case using a tractor remote. Is the Bobcat set up with "power beyond" hydraulics, or do you have to tie off one of the the hydraulic control levers? I do that for running a wood splitter off my tractor.

Any reason for the double pedal arrangement?

Last edited:
Wasn't obvious to me from the picture that using the bobcat was how you were powering it. I stupidly assumed the handle and pedal were a hand (foot) pump mechanism. Looking at the picture again, it does look more like a control valve rather than a pump, with the elbows to remote lines still capped. Using the hydraulics off that makes a lot more sense. I may steal that idea, in my case using a tractor remote. Is the Bobcat set up with "power beyond" hydraulics, or do you have to tie off one of the the hydraulic control levers? I do that for running a wood splitter off my tractor.

Any reason for the double pedal arrangement?
That's correct, it's a control valve. The lever in between the pedal and the control arm is to change the direction of movement. Pedal works in both dirrections. I wanted the front end down to closed the press. And for front edge up (back edge down) to raise the press. This is intuitive to me, and I don't want to have to think about it when pressing down with 30 tons of pressure.

I wanted the hand control to work the same way, up to open, down to close. But since the linkage attaches to the back of the foot pedal, I needed a lever to switch the direction of movement.

is there a ghost there or invisible man operating the controls ;) .
A little slow. You might not get what you want made if the metal cools before you get your cycles in. Unless you are using this for dies?
So def not a power hammer.. just a press?
That was the first try, only 1/2 to 3/4 press on the pedal, and engine at idle. Looks like a ghost because I'm standing way the heck back...
Flow is 8 gpm at idle, max I think is 25.

Decided to test whether pressure turning with my 7x was possible..

I turned an arbor to be held in the chuck, then turned the end of a piece of stock down to create a tight slip fit.

The large diameter of the stock is just below the original 2" (50.8mm) diameter, the centre is turned down to just over 1-5/16" to prove that it would all hold up to the cutting pressures..

The turned down stock and cap

SAM_0044.JPG

The arbor slipped onto the turned down stock.

SAM_0045.JPG

So what was the purpose? Well, I will be turning the cross slide boss for my other 7x and wanted a way to hold the stock that enabled turning it, without holding onto the stock itself, other than by the tailstock. This pressure turning method worked, so that is the method I will be using.

****** Edited to add ******

No, I did not use super glue. this was purely by pressure alone. I also tested the same method with steel with the same results.

****** Edited to add ******

Last edited:
Forging press nearly done...

is there a ghost there or invisible man operating the controls ;) .
A little slow. You might not get what you want made if the metal cools before you get your cycles in. Unless you are using this for dies?
So def not a power hammer.. just a press?

yea, I had to re-read the first post, and saw that you said press. I was not used to the idea of a forging press, only a hammer. The only forging presses I have seen are the huge mega ton presses that a CAT holds and rotates the parts into.

A yard tool redo...

We have issue with crabgrass and other stupid weeds.

Also roots when digging up sprinkler heads.

We had drilled the end of an old tool handle and placed an old chisel in it, it had a hose clamp that went missing.

Yesterday it broke, so repaired today.

Cut and faced, then drilled new hole.

Chisel is octagon with 5/8 across the flats, so drilled 5/8.

To keep from splitting we wrapped with stainless welding wire, an estate sale buy...

Drilled small hole at bottom, went through 2 times to secure, then using lathe in slowest speed, maybe 10 rpm, would the wire.

Needed to stop every 8 rounds to tap it tight.

At the topp used some holes to Thread it through, it goes through, loops back around 2 turns then through a hole into the center and the chisel holds it.

Filled the hole with glue, hammered in the chisel and reformed the end.

Works much better now.
3d45ece9d0f2505d9cf1223bd20b6907.jpg
db089c08e8a105d8ca3195d06e7e840d.jpg
f2049691c39dee1a6d7aa90401e33dbc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Spent the better part of the day working on a power Z lift for the mill. I cut out 2 donuts of steel with a hole saw, chopped off a chunk of pipe and cleaned it up in the lathe. Then laid out the holes for the motor and mill. After that i welded the parts all together. The gear reduction motor is something from aliexpress, I sprayed some black paint on it and it was a bit hot and boiled off so it looks a bit funny but oh well. I have a speed controller to connect to it that allows Up/Down + speed control. I hope that i got the preload on the top nut adjusted so that it moves up and down easily with little backlash.

PXL_20240630_225644239.jpg

Back