POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I would put a VW diesel in it, but I am a vw guy. Hood room is a big determination. I was going to swap a TDI into a Miata once but lacked an inch of clearance, so the project left my mind.

Oh My! Thanks for asking. TBH, don't know. So far, thought about a Zetec mated with a T5 transmission, or maybe a Miata engine/transmission. Will check the original engine/transmission out, and possibly leave as is. Have you got any suggestions? While a LS or a BMW engine swap sounds nice, Don't want to go that drastic.
Then let me interject my idea- a Nissan 2.5L KLDE. Lightest V6 ever Made, 7kRPM potential. Megasquirt with ITBs or an Eaton M65. 6 speed manual from a north-south car like a S2000. Lightweight and perfect for a roadster!

I would put a VW diesel in it, but I am a vw guy. Hood room is a big determination. I was going to swap a TDI into a Miata once but lacked an inch of clearance, so the project left my mind.
VW TDI is over 700 lbs dry weight with the cast iron block. That's a lot in the nose of a light car!

VW TDI is over 700 lbs dry weight with the cast iron block. That's a lot in the nose of a light car!
Maybe the V10, or engine and transmission. The ALH 1.9 which is the easiest to run standalone is heavier than gas but still in the 350-400 LB range. Have put them in Baja bugs and a Westfalia van. Many people put them in Toyota, and Suzuki Samarai.

Oh My! Thanks for asking. TBH, don't know. So far, thought about a Zetec mated with a T5 transmission, or maybe a Miata engine/transmission. Will check the original engine/transmission out, and possibly leave as is. Have you got any suggestions? While a LS or a BMW engine swap sounds nice, Don't want to go that drastic.
I crewed for a couple that raced a GT6 a few decades back. They sing a sweet, sweet song when tuned right. I'd stay with the Triumph engine if it was me....

John

I crewed for a couple that raced a GT6 a few decades back. They sing a sweet, sweet song when tuned right. I'd stay with the Triumph engine if it was me....

John
Love the GT6. Gotta get busy on mine. 25% done. Then kids came along. It’s waiting patiently in the shop. Saw one with a Honda S2000 drivetrain transplant. I bet it would be a handful to drive.

I'll give the engine suggestions a look-see.
I've been watching some youtube videos of a LS3 going into a GT6, which is a bit extreme for me. A FB friend is putting a VW MK4 Golf 2.8 liter into his project, I'm thinking he's going as fas as using the VW air bags also.
I previously owned a Lotus Europa, and was in process of swapping in a black top Zetec, newer Renault transaxle, along with VW CVJ's & axles. Ended up selling because of multiple reasons. A guy on the Europa board installed a LS into a Europa, but that build had him adding to the wheel base, and constructing a new frame - that's not gonna happen here.
I've got to get this car here first off, then see what I have. It was supposedly in storage for years, with little rust. In the early '80's I owned a '70 GT6, was a great little car. I'll check the Triumph drive train out, then make a decision. One mandatory item will be AC...

16 hours without tripping the breaker…I am 8 hours away from having a YouTube certification on fridge repairs :D

$35.00 for the defrost element and 45 minutes to swap it…

IMG_6500.jpeg

EDIT: Over 24 hours fridge back to working normally. I am calling this one done. Wohooo!!

Last edited:
I'll give the engine suggestions a look-see.
I've been watching some youtube videos of a LS3 going into a GT6, which is a bit extreme for me. A FB friend is putting a VW MK4 Golf 2.8 liter into his project, I'm thinking he's going as fas as using the VW air bags also.
I previously owned a Lotus Europa, and was in process of swapping in a black top Zetec, newer Renault transaxle, along with VW CVJ's & axles. Ended up selling because of multiple reasons. A guy on the Europa board installed a LS into a Europa, but that build had him adding to the wheel base, and constructing a new frame - that's not gonna happen here.
I've got to get this car here first off, then see what I have. It was supposedly in storage for years, with little rust. In the early '80's I owned a '70 GT6, was a great little car. I'll check the Triumph drive train out, then make a decision. One mandatory item will be AC...
wouldn't the weight of the LS3 destroy the handling of the GT6? I mean you are adding a boat load of weight. Unless you just want to go in a straight line. Otherwise wouldn't it require a redesign of the suspension?

Back