POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I see you pinched Homer's bucket.......... Was it where he kept his donut stash? LOL

Nice table, water or lazer?

Homer’s bucket is the collection bin for wood chips/ dust. The plasma table is also a router table once the water bed and torch are removed, and a spindle is placed. I bought a Jet dust extractor and broke it up and added a cyclone separator as the first stage. That’s were the orange bucket comes in.

22d29ca8650a751ff2cb468ddc4f97cf.jpg

The duct in the top right then goes to the second stage:

3dee96124d0ddea6d7779d3dadef818e.jpg

Behind the mill is the Jet filter and collection bag. Because the first stage is so efficient, these hardly see any action.

64085ea843a48b9265005ed5f64bac73.jpg

There is less than an inch of dust at the bottom of the bag after about two years of use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Picked up a relatively new Craftsman workbench off of Kijiji today. I paid $120 CAD for it, which I think is a good deal. Spent all afternoon playing musical chairs to get it where I wanted it in the garage. While I was at it I also tidied up a bit, hung some shelves, and mounted my vice.

A bit part of why I bought this is that I got frustrated of using my vice on the floor.
View attachment 494500

View attachment 494499

Based on my original purchases 20 - 30 years ago that’s a great price, although mine all had a very dense composite top, not finger-joint lumber.

IMG_7516_Radiant_Photo.jpeg

Considering that they are made from pressed sheet metal components, they are surprisingly rigid: my Mini-Lathe lives on the last one I have:

IMG_7514_Radiant_Photo.jpeg

Homer’s bucket is the collection bin for wood chips/ dust. The plasma table is also a router table once the water bed and torch are removed, and a spindle is placed. I bought a Jet dust extractor and broke it up and added a cyclone separator as the first stage. That’s were the orange bucket comes in.

Behind the mill is the Jet filter and collection bag. Because the first stage is so efficient, these hardly see any action.
Nice setup!

I originally used a Homer with a HD cyclone lid on the ShopVac I use to clean up my Mini-Mill & Mini-Lathe, but switched to a metal bucket when the thin Homer started collapsing when I used small nozzles with long hoses (1-1/4" & 2"); I also switched to super-flexible 1-7/8" hoses:

20240623 ShopVac  Cart.jpg
The silencer on the Vac outlet lessens the noise, reduces the blast of the exhaust and keeps the occasional critter out of the Vac mechanism (don't ask) with minimal loss of suction/volume.
There is less than an inch of dust at the bottom of the bag after about two years of use.
Almost no dust or fines find their way into the bottom of the ShopVac canister (which is a good thing since it's a pain to get it out from the cart, but being on the cart I takes up less space and I can move it out front of the outside door quickly in an emergency).

22d29ca8650a751ff2cb468ddc4f97cf.jpg

3dee96124d0ddea6d7779d3dadef818e.jpg

64085ea843a48b9265005ed5f64bac73.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That cyclone is one of the best improvements I’ve made to the woodworking side of my shop. Mine is on a similar Jet dust collector. As with yours, very little makes it past the cyclone and into the plastic bag. I have the smaller Oneida cyclone on my Shop Vac along with a second 2” hose and don’t have to clean the filter inside the vacuum cleaner but once every two years. It’s not clogged; just maintenance. I clean up the metal working machines with the Shop Vac and nothing metal gets past the cyclone.

Like you guys I have a couple different cyclone types, mobile and statuary. Love em. Huge difference.

Last edited:
I was able to organize things a bit more in the garage. Promise kept!! My wife can park her car inside. First time in over 30 years we have been married.

IMG_6454.jpeg
2BBAE705-1E5C-4A78-86EE-0E3488F03224.jpeg
207D2867-1F75-4F61-A3D9-1D1205E78FC1.jpeg

Some things, like the drill and router table, needs to be moved. But this works for now.

IMG_6455.jpeg

Much more to get rid off and organize… but she can park it now. All this side needs to be redone

IMG_6449.jpeg

I was able to organize things a bit more in the garage. Promise kept!! My wife can park her car inside. First time in over 30 years we have been married.

View attachment 494605
View attachment 494606
View attachment 494607

Some things, like the drill and router table, needs to be moved. But this works for now.

View attachment 494608

Much more to get rid off and organize… but she can park it now. All this side needs to be redone

View attachment 494609
that won't last long. I'll bet you leave things out in her way ... that drill press, the bike... You'll be in the dog house shortly.

that won't last long. I'll bet you leave things out in her way ... that drill press, the bike... You'll be in the dog house shortly.
I am afraid that you might be correct.

My promise was that she was going to be able to park her car… I did not say for how long… :D

On other news, I was able to fix the toolbox that got damaged in the PODS.

Drilled and installed 3/16” rivets. Wished it was stainless steel rivets but all I had were aluminum.

IMG_6458.jpeg
IMG_6460.jpeg
IMG_6463.jpeg
IMG_6472.jpeg

And did some cleaning and organizing while I was in there…

IMG_6471.jpeg

At least I can now see the floor... a lot more organizing to do... but I feel good seeing some stuff were it belongs.

I also need to remember where the heck I stored the cover for the gears... for the Logan lathe. I am still waiting on the replacement gear to arrive, so I have time to look for it. Where the heck did I put it!?!?

IMG_6469.jpeg

I need to find a home for this arc welder… it was my father-in-law’s… Lincoln Electric AC 225-C

IMG_6470.jpeg

Last edited:
looking good Jamie, start using it and you'll see that some of your planning doesn't work. So don't wait for perfection.. Let your use guide you to the end. Start making things for the shop to finish things up, and figure things out. We've all been there.. The shop maint and changes never end, so don't put off Making things..

Back