POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Great idea - but I think everyone would be too cheap to give a dollar for one, preferring to use a paper towel instead... Anyhows, I got focused on the hydraulic press and finished, well, unless I paint it. The HF press was so out of square, was sketchy to use. Saw where someone inverted a air assist jack, so decided to give that a try, along with some 6in channel across the top. for the table, I made some bolts from 5/8" all thread and used 3/4" black pipe for spacers. Made and knurled some knobs for the table pins, and valve on jack. So far, works, hasn't leaked any oil - yet...
sorry, but that looks so top heavy, The base needs to be out further.

Great idea - but I think everyone would be too cheap to give a dollar for one, preferring to use a paper towel instead... Anyhows, I got focused on the hydraulic press and finished, well, unless I paint it. The HF press was so out of square, was sketchy to use. Saw where someone inverted a air assist jack, so decided to give that a try, along with some 6in channel across the top. for the table, I made some bolts from 5/8" all thread and used 3/4" black pipe for spacers. Made and knurled some knobs for the table pins, and valve on jack. So far, works, hasn't leaked any oil - yet...

Any special precautions when you invert (upside down) the jack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sorry, but that looks so top heavy, The base needs to be out further.
Yes, it does look top heavy, and it is. I can reverse the caster brackets and gain almost 6 inches in width of caster footprint, but the press is actually steady - which surprised me. Heck, I was so happy it actually functioned - had to take some pics! I've not actually 'used' it yet, so will probably reverse them before use.
Any special precautions when you invert (upside down) the jack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not really, just modifying the oil pickup, oil fill, & air vent locations, relocate the fulcrum of the manual pump lever. "The Aussie Shed" on youtube has some detailed videos on the mod. So far it hasn't leaked, which is nice, lol.

Yes, it does look top heavy, and it is. I can reverse the caster brackets and gain almost 6 inches in width of caster footprint, but the press is actually steady - which surprised me. Heck, I was so happy it actually functioned - had to take some pics! I've not actually 'used' it yet, so will probably reverse them before use.

Not really, just modifying the oil pickup, oil fill, & air vent locations, relocate the fulcrum of the manual pump lever. "The Aussie Shed" on youtube has some detailed videos on the mod. So far it hasn't leaked, which is nice, lol.
I think I'm not being clear on which way it's dangerous.. I think it needs more length

press 1.jpg

I think I'm not being clear on which way it's dangerous.. I think it needs more length

View attachment 494850

@woodchucker Agreed, footprint is too small for height & weight.

In the meantime, I got to this point of turning the custom cross slide boss for my other 7x. Need to turn the centre-section down a bit further, but other than that, I am sat waiting on an M30 Tap and die so I can finish another mini-project.

SAM_0012.JPG

Last edited:

View attachment 494850
Oh, I agree with you. This 'project' has been going on for about 2 years or so now. I needed to get it together so to move parts out of the way for another project coming up - GT6 Triumph. The angle used was all I had, so just halved it. As it 'stands' (lol) now, it's not getting anything heavy placed on it, nor used, and will be rolled up against the wall. I'll get by Alro to replenish my stock of steel, and will get some more angle. It's plenty steady now to roll out of the way. When I can get the tool cabinet placed undershelf, the press will have a permanent spot, and will lose the casters. But for now, it will be in the corner, with the shop crane beside it. Hate this 'downsizing' and making everything fit the smaller space.

Attachments

• gt6.jpg
    gt6.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 17

View attachment 494850
:eek:

Even without casters, that base would make me very nervous.

Here's my dirt cheap Chinese hydraulic press:

20240626_120304.jpg

Now, that's pretty stable but even so, I'm planning on moving it to another wall where I can anchor it at the top to a bracket on the wall, so there's no chance of tipping.

There has been one recent occasion where I've needed to get round something or other to press on the bit that needed pressing and I didn't got the setup quite as perpendicular to the pressed surface as it should have been. After a few pumps of the handle, the pair of steel pins I was using to transfer the force slipped and pinged out and the whole frame rocked back and forth a bit!

@hotrats seriously mate, your safety is way more important than convenience or any extra time spent getting this right.

Back