POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

22 year old can of spray-paint. Hmmmm.

22 year old can of spray-paint. Hmmmm.

You would be surprised just what can be used.... Had a can of spray paint (rattle can) that was purchased in 1995 that I used last year, sprayed out perfectly after a 10 minute warm up in hot water and a good shaking.

Purchased it for a respray on a bike but was never used. Still have the bike and needed to re-paint the forks. Out came the paint and on it went. no issues.

Problem being that this time of year, while sitting outside at my local watering hole the flies are 'pesky' and land on your beer bottle. If they work in practice, a win, I guess.
Interesting idea — you could turn a few and see if your local would want to market them. What do you think — “Hops Tops” — kinda catchy, eh? ;)

Older spay paint seemed to be better at shelf life than the stuff we buy these days.

Lots and lots of posts online about this issue. Don't know if it was a change in formulations or what.

I think the solids settle to bottom and IF you can get them to mix back into suspension before attempting to spray you have a slight chance of success. But if you try to use the can before it is completely mixed, a bit of the solids gets into the valve at the top of the can and there is no way to clean that. Sometimes it is just the spray nozzle but I find it is usually in the valve, making the whole can worthless.

I have had brand new cans not function. Seems they had probably been on the shelf at the store or warehouse too long. This situation was exacerbated by the supply line issues the past few years.

When spray paint was $2 a can it wasn't a big deal, but when it got to be more than $10 a can, I gave up and went to the small spray guns that use disposable liners that can be sealed. Two lost spray cans will pay for the setup.

Older spay paint seemed to be better at shelf life than the stuff we buy these days.

Lots and lots of posts online about this issue. Don't know if it was a change in formulations or what.

I think the solids settle to bottom and IF you can get them to mix back into suspension before attempting to spray you have a slight chance of success. But if you try to use the can before it is completely mixed, a bit of the solids gets into the valve at the top of the can and there is no way to clean that. Sometimes it is just the spray nozzle but I find it is usually in the valve, making the whole can worthless.

I have had brand new cans not function. Seems they had probably been on the shelf at the store or warehouse too long. This situation was exacerbated by the supply line issues the past few years.

When spray paint was $2 a can it wasn't a big deal, but when it got to be more than $10 a can, I gave up and went to the small spray guns that use disposable liners that can be sealed. Two lost spray cans will pay for the setup.

Just one of the multiple reasons I invested in a compressor and multiple spray guns..

Have spray guns with needles/nozzles from 0.4 upto 1.4 Never looked back since, but still have the odd use for rattlers.

Yes, formulations have changed. Base formulations, colour formulations and thinner/reducer formulations have changed, not to mention the propellant issues.

A lot of the issues are EU regulations related, but an equal part of it is profit margins and cost cutting on materials to make greater profit.

Remember the "CFC Free" notifications on products when that first became a thing? yeah, I remember CFC's being front and centre for a while.

Lots of "Useful" products have been neutered due to removal of the chemical elements that actually did the work. Nitromors used be very good, now it is useless and brake fluid works better as a paint stripper than that stuff.

Rust-Oleum has become the McM-C of manufacturers: I’ve had to call their customer support a couple of times in the last few years to complain about sputtering spray and paint that doesn’t cure; each time I give them the “date-code” on the can and what I paid (including tax) and I have a check in a couple of days. I haven’t tried returning to HD or Ace, but I will the next time.

Rust-Oleum has become the McM-C of manufacturers: I’ve had to call their customer support a couple of times in the last few years to complain about sputtering spray and paint that doesn’t cure; each time I give them the “date-code” on the can and what I paid (including tax) and I have a check in a couple of days. I haven’t tried returning to HD or Ace, but I will the next time.

McM-C ??

unfortunately this was a custom paint mix that the fencing company manuf provides with a fence install. Most everything I do is spray with my own guns. I won't say I don't use rattle cans, but I avoid them.

Back