POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I was able to organize things a bit more in the garage. Promise kept!! My wife can park her car inside. First time in over 30 years we have been married.

View attachment 494605
View attachment 494606
View attachment 494607

Some things, like the drill and router table, needs to be moved. But this works for now.

View attachment 494608

Much more to get rid off and organize… but she can park it now. All this side needs to be redone

View attachment 494609
What, garages are for cars? :eek: No, they are sacred buildings for tools!
At least that is what I have convinced my wife of for the past 40 years ;)

well, took the shortcut, made a torsion spring, just regular music wire, it would have been nice to not rust. Seems to be promising . It's been raining, so it will help soften the ground for the install.
It always feels good to use stuff you have around. Hockey Stick (AL), and old bent up fence post picket.
PXL_20240623_215903526.jpgPXL_20240624_145453585.jpgPXL_20240624_145459202.jpgPXL_20240624_145539301.jpg

Started a couple of crankshafts for a little V8 project. 1144 stressproof. Didn't want them to turn into pretzels. Wasn't quite sure if the interrupted cuts in the eccentric mandrel would destroy them, but it seems to work just fine. Slow going though, for sure. 0.0005" DOC per revolution, turning at 65-75rpm and lots of cutting oil. Mains are 0.3125" dia, rod journals 0.250".

1000001662.jpg1000001667.jpg1000001668.jpg1000001684.jpg

Started a couple of crankshafts for a little V8 project. 1144 stressproof. Didn't want them to turn into pretzels. Wasn't quite sure if the interrupted cuts in the eccentric mandrel would destroy them, but it seems to work just fine. Slow going though, for sure. 0.0005" DOC per revolution, turning at 65-75rpm and lots of cutting oil. Mains are 0.3125" dia, rod journals 0.250".

View attachment 494707View attachment 494708View attachment 494709View attachment 494710
Great work... Dumb question, stress proof as opposed to stress re-leaved?

View attachment 494707View attachment 494708View attachment 494709View attachment 494710
Nice work, man!

Nothing done in the garage or workshop. Niece stopped by to change the front rotors and pads in her car. 2012 Volvo XC90 that she got as a gift from my father-in-law (her Grandpa) when he could no longer drive it.

VXC90-1.jpeg

VXC90-2.jpeg

VXC90-3.jpeg

VXC90-4.jpeg

VXC90-5.jpeg
VXC90-7.jpeg

Both sides done. Dealer wanted to charge her 700.00. For a college student that is a heck of a lot of money. We got it done for US$220.00 and 40 minutes of work...

VXC90-6.jpeg

Last edited:
I got some coating practice. The outsides of the receivers and bolt knobs are KG Kote, wetted with WD while still warm from the oven. Right is burnished with 000 steel wool, left isn't done yet. The bolts and the insides of the receivers are done in Gear Kote, the teflon stuff they do piston skirts and F1 gearboxes with. It's pretty slick coating, only tenths thick and very tough. I'm going to have to lap one of the actions a bit more and re-coat afterward; I should have ordered the bolt body .0002 smaller than the nice fit I had with the pin gauge after reaming the raceway. I erred on the wrong side of that call, but it's just dragging enough to justify hitting it with the Clover compound because the coating will prevent any further bedding in of the mating parts. The other is spot on. The difference between a snug fit, a glass-smooth fit, and a rattling bolt all sits within a range about 5 tenths wide. Maybe if I stuck with Sakos instead of Remingtons, I wouldn't have had anything to learn in the pursuit. Got a few more in the queue, and I enjoy the process too much to splurge on boutique actions. DIY always beats turn-key in my bent little mind even if the costs are a break-even. Foo-foo actions are nice, but my reworked actions are my own in a way that plunking down the money card can't match.

PXL_20240623_190924641.jpg

I got some coating practice. The outsides of the receivers and bolt knobs are KG Kote, wetted with WD while still warm from the oven. Right is burnished with 000 steel wool, left isn't done yet. The bolts and the insides of the receivers are done in Gear Kote, the teflon stuff they do piston skirts and F1 gearboxes with. It's pretty slick coating, only tenths thick and very tough. I'm going to have to lap one of the actions a bit more and re-coat afterward; I should have ordered the bolt body .0002 smaller than the nice fit I had with the pin gauge after reaming the raceway. I erred on the wrong side of that call, but it's just dragging enough to justify hitting it with the Clover compound because the coating will prevent any further bedding in of the mating parts. The other is spot on. The difference between a snug fit, a glass-smooth fit, and a rattling bolt all sits within a range about 5 tenths wide. Maybe if I stuck with Sakos instead of Remingtons, I wouldn't have had anything to learn in the pursuit. Got a few more in the queue, and I enjoy the process too much to splurge on boutique actions. DIY always beats turn-key in my bent little mind even if the costs are a break-even. Foo-foo actions are nice, but my reworked actions are my own in a way that plunking down the money card can't match.

View attachment 494778
Looks good and the satisfaction always out weighs the money.

Interesting idea — you could turn a few and see if your local would want to market them. What do you think — “Hops Tops” — kinda catchy, eh? ;)
Great idea - but I think everyone would be too cheap to give a dollar for one, preferring to use a paper towel instead... Anyhows, I got focused on the hydraulic press and finished, well, unless I paint it. The HF press was so out of square, was sketchy to use. Saw where someone inverted a air assist jack, so decided to give that a try, along with some 6in channel across the top. for the table, I made some bolts from 5/8" all thread and used 3/4" black pipe for spacers. Made and knurled some knobs for the table pins, and valve on jack. So far, works, hasn't leaked any oil - yet...

Attachments

• press 1.jpg
    press 1.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 40
  • press 2.jpg
    press 2.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 40
  • press 3.jpg
    press 3.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 40
Back