POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Hammered paint needs to be sprayed on heavier than a light dusting. If you dust it on, you won't get the effect. Put it on heavier, and keep moving.
I did try that on a spare piece of steel 1/2 way through painting the press, includimg to the point of the paint running. Tried it after finishing as well spraying into a puddle, there is no contrasting dark pigment.

Also as i posted, I have used the same Rustoleaum hammered paint in dark charcoal with excellent results.
It is almost as if they forgot to add the dark chunks into the mix.....

I have painted slightly larger items

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I did try that on a spare piece of steel 1/2 way through painting the press, includimg to the point of the paint running. Tried it after finishing as well spraying into a puddle, there is no contrasting dark pigment.

Also as i posted, I have used the same Rustoleaum hammered paint in dark charcoal with excellent results.
It is almost as if they forgot to add the dark chunks into the mix.....
I wonder if it settled out and would not mix. If the can has stuff left in it... try putting the can in some hot water, then shake again... sometimes heating the can will allow it to mix better. It certainly atomizes better.

I wonder if it settled out and would not mix. If the can has stuff left in it... try putting the can in some hot water, then shake again... sometimes heating the can will allow it to mix better. It certainly atomizes better.
I thought of that as well, and made sure to shake the cans over 5 minutes each, with the ball loose.
What can I say, it's beyond me.

I may spray one can out and cut it open to see , but the ball would not sound like it did if there was congealed pigment at the bottom.

ps.

Then again I have been wrong before.
If I get a chance will literally get to the bottom of the can question. Will post whatever I find.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the spray can primer with paint, or the new so called enamels. I understand you can still get the good stuff in Wyoming. May have to make a trip to Laramie, and stock up on the ones I use most often. Mike

I have another project and yeah Going to be 2K Urethane.

All shops i see these days have gone to water based paints.

I have both the $9 hvlp and the more expensive with the regulator. I like the $9 at times better than the more expensive one . With heavier paints I like the $9 better. With finishes that I can really thin out, I like the more expensive. I find that the air cap on the finer has finer holes and will not atomize the heavier paints enough .
I also have a turbine (single stage) and gun. I find it difficult to get the atomization I like.

Might have to pick some brains when I get to cleaning up/painting the old Bridgeport. Been pondering how to set up a small temporary spray booth in the garage, and getting some better sprayers. Yet one more thing on the list that may float to the top.

@dkemppai said he bought it at walmart. To me that means it may have sat there for years. I have found turning the can upside down when shaking it initially helps break loose settled paint.

I've never had good luck with Krylon. Don't know why but have had much better results with Rustoleum. I've done the same where i've given up on spray paint and bought a quart of paint and went to town with a brush. I figure i can also thin it and spray it with my HVLP if i desire.

Reactions: rwm
Might have to pick some brains when I get to cleaning up/painting the old Bridgeport. Been pondering how to set up a small temporary spray booth in the garage, and getting some better sprayers. Yet one more thing on the list that may float to the top.
I built a 12’x20’ roll-up booth in my garage when I was painting an old Cub Cadet. There are three 20”x20” filters on the back side and two box fans on the front that pull air from the booth and blow out under the garage door. The fans have filters over them as well to catch overspray. It only takes about 10 minutes to set up and be ready to paint. There is enough airflow through the booth that I’ve never had any issues with paint fog.

IMG_3912.jpegIMG_3908.jpeg

The paint turned out pretty good considering my limited painting skills and the cheap farm store paint I used.

IMG_8064.jpeg

Not today - over the course of the last few months I built a grapple for my SCUT. First i had to do some hydraulic work to run the thing then there was welding and fab work to convert the loader from pin on to modified JDQA and build the frame. I used the mill and lathe to create the pivot pins and bushings. The cylinder is a repurposed steering cylinder that the tie rod ends were too sloppy to use so i tore the tie rod ends out, milled down through them and then bushed them to accept a 3/4" pin that i created on the lathe. This is a JD x585 with limited lift capacity so i attempted to build it as lightweight as i could while still maintaining strength.

I was able to test it out for a bit yesterday helping a neighbor with a tree that blew down a while back and it works quite well. I still have a punch list of smaller items to complete but i'm happy with how it works and how it turned out.

PXL_20240204_210352700.jpg

PXL_20240204_214043193.jpg

Back