POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Recently purged the cabinet shop of years of accumulated pieces of wood that were too good to throw out but never seamed to get used. Used the tractor to move the scrap in the bucket to the burn site. Probably burnt 20 buckets full of scrap 1 - 3 feet long. Just dumping the stock on the fire. Then swept up the shavings and such that collected under and in all those scrap piles. Dumped it on the fire from a good height to get the most effect, quite a fire ball as the fire front advanced faster than the shavings fell. Did a couple of those buckets, Then cleaned out behind the chop saw and band saw, nice fine material, baked totally dry by the heated floor. Dumped that on, again from probably 6 feet. The flash from it came all the way back to me on the seat, (no injury), but the impressive part to me was the flash burnt the oxygen from the air to the point the diesel engine almost died, got air again and restarted itself.
Please, no safety lectures, its was a controlled burn and even had a fire permit for it.

Greg
I wish you had a video of that! That's awesome

My point is when working with flammable stuff inside a building (spray painting, etc.) please use caution. Keeping the volatiles below the lower combustion limit (ventilation) and removing ignition sources (sparks, static, hot anything) is important. Appropriate personal protection, and choose proper equipment (or at least make smarter choices about what to use) when you can. It might be a one in a million accident, but you don't want to be that one.

The dust explosion in the vacuum cleaner was a surprise. Stuff like that can happen.

A spark obviously caused the ignition. Explosion proof equipment is designed to not spark. Whether than fan you saw was actually certified explosion proof or was just marketed as such is perhaps up for debate. I think the lesson here is to keep the dust level below the flammable/explosion level, turn your fan on before such a level of dust accumulates. Most of our shops and homes are a long shot from being safe from possible ignition sources.

Here's an example of something that happened when I lived nearby as a result of an industrial dust (sugar) explosion.
Anyone want to work in a gunpowder factory

A spark obviously caused the ignition. Explosion proof equipment is designed to not spark. Whether the fan you saw was actually certified explosion proof or was just marketed as such is perhaps up for debate. I think the lesson here is to keep the dust level below the flammable/explosion level, turn your fan on before such a level of dust accumulates. Most of our shops and homes are a long shot from being safe from possible ignition sources.

Here's an example of something that happened when I lived nearby as a result of an industrial dust (sugar) explosion.
Anyone want to work in a gunpowder factory?
yep, fine dust (called flour) has a tendency to explode. Almost any flour will. dust less so.

yep, fine dust (called flour) has a tendency to explode. Almost any flour will. dust less so.
I remember working in Los Angeles watching crews vacuuming the perms in sound stages. It was common for the fire dept to inspect the cleanliness of any overhead conduit or plumbing several times a year. I'm talking about dusting the sprinkler system here. An earthquake will aerosolize all of the dust into a fire hazard!

I made some more progress on the generator project. I have been waiting for the custom face plate to come back from Osh Cut. Got it today and fit perfectly.

Wait a sec! OSH cut??? I've ordered from OSH Park (circuit boards), and OSH Stencil (Solder stencils), but was not aware of OSH Cut. Hmmm,

Yep. Same concept as Send Cut Send.

That reminds me of a story.... I ordered some brackets from send cut send for the grapple i built. Didn't do any fancy CAD, just used the online designer and was able to get it done.

PXL_20240124_213648150.jpg

This made me giggle - that's 11 .250" steel brackets bent at 90*

PXL_20240124_220539965.jpg

I could have built tabs myself but this really helped make assembly much easier and the quality of the product was excellent. The brackets were about $5 ea.

Back