New 2 me Tree Mill, lots of questions

I have power to it. The table feed does not seem to be working correctly. It is not moving when using the feed lever, and is moving slow when pulling the fast traverse lever. Any ideas?

drive motor is turning, right??

I'd look to broken shear pin. normally made of AL.

Is the table feed motor wired for the correct voltage? When I got mine the main motor was wired for 220 and the feed motor for 440. It was slow with no power until I rewired it to 220.

drive motor is turning, right??

I'd look to broken shear pin. normally made of AL.
Yes spindle and feed motor are both turning. I' checked the parts diagram, but it's small and hard to find what I'm looking for. Could use some more help.

I had to learn the hard way on my supermax. Just stated taking it apart till the problem was found.

I had to learn the hard way on my supermax. Just stated taking it apart till the problem was found.
Oh.man, I just had to disassemble my lathe to fix two problems. I'm not ready for another major project right now.

Is the table feed motor wired for the correct voltage? When I got mine the main motor was wired for 220 and the feed motor for 440. It was slow with no power until I rewired it to 220.
I need to check this. Same symptoms.

Oh, I forgot that one of the 4 bolts that holds the secures the head from tilting right/left is broken. Should I even worry about it?
Nice machine, yes I would change that bolt. I may be a bit of work but worth it.

Hi folks. Thanks again for all of the replies and help.

I was able to fix the main problem with the feed. It was just that the motor direction was reversed. This wasn't obvious because the feed was moving slow and failing to engage (rather than just turning the wrong direction). It seems the feed engagement is dependent on the motor turning the correct way, otherwise the mechanism doesn't fully engage/mesh.

Once that was corrected, I moved onto trying to drain the oil out of the head so I could see about changing the broken bolt...

I looked at the manual and other than it mentioning to check the sight glass on the head for splash from the sump, there was no information on changing or draining the oil in the head. This is where I began to do stupid things and I am worried now that I did some damage. Go easy on me, I already feel very dumb.

I decided to try to take the top cover off the head so I can see how the head is lubricated and where the drain plug is located, etc. This seemed like it would be straightforward, but I think this was a huge mistake. Once I started, I began fighting the main spindle and spindle bearing with some force, and possibly marring the machined surface that seals and seats the head as well as the interface for the shaft and main spindle bearing. Oh no! What have I done? How bad is this and how do I recover (literally and figuratively)?

I am pausing for wisdom. Please have mercy on me as I am already regretting and ashamed of what I have done. The purpose of this stupidity was to try and drain the oil, make a plan for changing my broken bolt, and learn how to re-lubricate the head.

Attachments

• PXL_20240731_152936974.jpg
    PXL_20240731_152936974.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20240731_152923238.jpg
    PXL_20240731_152923238.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 8
Can you just put it back together, best option.

If not you got a snap ring to remove red arrows, and a spanner nut to unthread green arrows

PXL_20240731_152936974.jpg

Back