Need a gantry crane for a one time use.

Lets all calm this down a few, OK a lot of notches.
This rock is/will be on an alley with a posted speed limit of 5 MPH. The layout is such that no one short of a very high end sports car of near 1000 hp would be physically able to exceed 30 mph in the available space. The purpose of this is to stop those that are intentionally driving onto my property out of laziness to cut the corner short. and are doing damage to my property up to and including hitting the house.
NO ONE that hits the rock has a possibility of personal injury to themselves or other occupants of the vehicle, due to the very slow speeds.
Across the alley from me is a 8" steel pipe filled with concrete to protect that neighbors property. Yes there are always fresh scrapes on that pole.

It is a very tight hard corner. ANY car on the road can make the turn if it has a driver that has a clue how to drive.

The rock is directly under a street light so it is very visible any time of day or night.

I have a full size, pickup with crew cab and 8 foot box, one of the longest vehicles on the road and I have no problem making it around the corner every day without hitting anything or driving off the pavement. So any "car" should have no problem at all.

Today someone hit my 400 lb rock and pushed it about a foot. They left some blue paint on the rock. Now I have to push it back where it belongs, AGAIN.

In our town there was a 30 second pursuit of a gang banger in residential area where he crashed into a house and killed 2.

Placing rocks on private property to prevent this should not be an issue.

There are a few examples in our area.

Many folks too concerned with the safety of the badguys, that is where the problem lies, if a private party places a rock on their property, away from the roadway and not in a normal path, and some fool driving adly, drives off the roadway, across he private property and strikes the rock, gets hurt and causes the rock to move, they are liable, need to pay t have rock pushed back and repair all other damage.

If they get hurt, then too bad, too sad, should not have been driving!

But in reality, jury trials result in victims being accountable for bad actions of others, back to the point...

Given the overall cost to do the work, not related to anything else, a permit ma be required.

In our county, anything over $500.00 materials and labor require permit.

There could be legal issues related to bad drivers as well as access by a fire truck, so check with the law enforcement agency of jurisdiction first to get their buy in.

Get your permit and get it done.

Now it is LEGALLY THERE...PERIOD!

Some idiot crashes into it and gets hurt, better him than you.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Many folks too concerned with the safety of the badguys
My concern is with Flyinfool providing us with a fresh set of pictures showing random bits of painted plastic every week. I'll award extra points for broken glass or metal bits.

In our town there was a 30 second pursuit of a gang banger in residential area where he crashed into a house and killed 2.

Placing rocks on private property to prevent this should not be an issue.

There are a few examples in our area.

Many folks too concerned with the safety of the badguys, that is where the problem lies, if a private party places a rock on their property, away from the roadway and not in a normal path, and some fool driving adly, drives off the roadway, across he private property and strikes the rock, gets hurt and causes the rock to move, they are liable, need to pay t have rock pushed back and repair all other damage.

If they get hurt, then too bad, too sad, should not have been driving!

But in reality, jury trials result in victims being accountable for bad actions of others, back to the point...

Given the overall cost to do the work, not related to anything else, a permit ma be required.

In our county, anything over $500.00 materials and labor require permit.

There could be legal issues related to bad drivers as well as access by a fire truck, so check with the law enforcement agency of jurisdiction first to get their buy in.

Get your permit and get it done.

Now it is LEGALLY THERE...PERIOD!

Some idiot crashes into it and gets hurt, better him than you.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
And if a 'bad' driver had a child in the back?

Or if a 'bad' driver had just had a mini-stroke or suffered some other momentary condition that caused them to lose control of the vehicle?

Or if a 'bad' driver had a mechanical failure that caused them to lose control?

And if a 'bad' driver was forced to evade some hazard through no fault of their own?

If the OP's recent post containing an updated assessment of the achievable speeds (i.e. maximum of 5 MPH) is accurate then their solution of a big rock isn't the danger I figured it might be.

Your response though...

Lets all calm this down a few, OK a lot of notches.
This rock is/will be on an alley with a posted speed limit of 5 MPH. The layout is such that no one short of a very high end sports car of near 1000 hp would be physically able to exceed 30 mph in the available space. The purpose of this is to stop those that are intentionally driving onto my property out of laziness to cut the corner short. and are doing damage to my property up to and including hitting the house.
NO ONE that hits the rock has a possibility of personal injury to themselves or other occupants of the vehicle, due to the very slow speeds.
Across the alley from me is a 8" steel pipe filled with concrete to protect that neighbors property. Yes there are always fresh scrapes on that pole.

It is a very tight hard corner. ANY car on the road can make the turn if it has a driver that has a clue how to drive.

The rock is directly under a street light so it is very visible any time of day or night.

I have a full size, pickup with crew cab and 8 foot box, one of the longest vehicles on the road and I have no problem making it around the corner every day without hitting anything or driving off the pavement. So any "car" should have no problem at all.

Today someone hit my 400 lb rock and pushed it about a foot. They left some blue paint on the rock. Now I have to push it back where it belongs, AGAIN.
Ah well, that clarifies things a bit as regards your scenario.

If low speeds are all that is possible to be achieved at the proposed location of your rock then I completely withdraw my comments about your solution for your scenario and apologise for taking your thread off on a tangent. :oops:

I think we're all interested in making sure our members are supported in anything they ask for. Since we now have more information we can probably go back to discussing how to move such a load safely.

I suspect the best way to load this rock is dragging it up onto a suitable trailer, if the OP doesn't have a tilt deck trailer perhaps one with a big winch can be rented locally and returned the next day.

This thread shows how useful pictures are for our discussions. If we had pictures of the rock and the proposed area for placing it our discussions would probably be more productive.

Still don't know if the OP has discussed the issue with his county road commissioner, or neighbors. Perhaps there is a simpler solution, maybe not....

John

Back