Looking for my perfect size hobby mill....

Yea, I've been looking at that. The only 'bench mill' that PM offers with hardened ways (option on 940)
All those options have changed since I bought mine, I bought it with all the options.

Hello people.. I am pretty sure I have my answer to this thread " Looking For My Perfect Size Hobby Mill ".

I'm still toying around with the G0704, I have it all tore down getting ready to clean it up, I have a spot picked out for it or what ever Mill I end up getting. I could be off but I'd think it would pair better with a smaller lathe then my PM-1236T, Its a really light Mill @ 300 LBS with stand.

While I am glad I bought the Grizzly G0704 for comparison I don't think its going to be sufficient in the long run... It has two plastic gears, one deep in the headstock that is likely to strip when stalled. and another driven by the motor that is stated in the manual to easily over heat. I'm not implying the G0704 is a bad machine at all, So far It appears to be a solid nicely made machine.

The spot that I have picked out for a Mill has a Max clear space of 54" in width... The PM932M needs 67" so I would need another foot, Or maybe just a good floor dolly to move it around... The PM-727V needs 55" total - just an inch short... Its superior to the G0704 in many ways, its also a closer match to PM-932. And while not as pretty or maybe accurate as the PM-728VT It has more low end torque for working steel.

My I Know list is growing...
I know how much room I have for a Mill now, Thanks to the G0704.
I know Ill be working with more Steel than Aluminum.

PM-727V
Max. Recommended Drilling Capacity: 1-1/4″
Max. Recommended End Milling Capacity: 1″
Max. Recommended Face Milling Capacity: 3″

PM-932B = Basic Model.
Max. Recommended Drilling Capacity ?
Max. Recommended End Mill Capacity 1-1/4"
Max. Recommended Face Milling Capacity 3"

PM-728VT
Max. Recommended Drilling Capacity 3/4″
Max. Recommended End Mill Capacity 1″
Max. Recommended Face Milling Capacity 3″

PM- 727V Quill Travel: 3"
PM-932B Quill Travel: 5"
PM-928VT Quill Travel: 3"

PM- 727V Quill Diameter: 2.5″
PM-932B Quill Diameter: approx. 3″
PM-928VT Quill Diameter 2.362″

PM- 727V Cross Travel (Y Axis) 8.5″
PM-932B Cross Travel (Y Axis) 8″
PM-928VT Cross Travel (Y Axis) 8.5″

PM- 727V Max Distance Spindle to Table: 18-1/4″
PM-932B Max Distance Spindle to Table: 18″
PM-928VT Max Distance Spindle to Table 16-1/4″ --> about 2" shorter

PM- 727V Range of Spindle Speeds: 40-3000rpm, 6 Steps, variable in each range
PM-932B Spindle Speeds (RPM): 90, 210, 345, 670, 1180, 1970
PM-928VT Range of Spindle Speeds 75-4000 RPM

PM- 727V Vertical X Travel: 15″ --> about 2" shorter
PM-932B Vertical X Travel: 17″
PM-928VT Vertical X Travel: 17-3/4”

PM- 727V Motor 1.5 HP Variable speed Gearhead
PM-932B Motor 1.5 HP Gearhead
PM-928VT Motor 1 HP DC Variable speed --> 1/2 HP less

PM- 727V 120V - 120V outlets available
PM-932B 220V - Have to run an extension cord for power
PM-928VT 120V - 120V outlets available

PM- 727V Weight 475 LBS without stand.
PM-932B Weight: 850 LBS without stand.
PM-928VT Weight 370 LBS without stand.

Base Model Price - No anything.
PM- 727V $2899.00 + stand 299.00 More = $3200.00 all Hardened and Ground Steel gears in head. Better Torque.
PM-932B $2799.00 + stand 399.00 More = $3200.00 Weight For More Rigidity, Low speed high Torque.
PM-928VT $3699.00 + stand 299.00 More = $4000.00 - Better Fit & Finish with closer tolerances. Better Warranty.

All that's left is 1 piece of missing info dealing with scope of work to seal the deal... just having this G0704 in my hands has helped my limited understanding of what the numbers above mean... If you see a fault with my logic let me know thanks..!

Thanks for looking, Mike.

Last edited:
Hello all, I have a Question..!

I am having a heck of a time finding information... I've been trying to find out what size Dividing Head can comfortably be used on what size Milling Machine..?

At some point I'd like to learn how to sand cast my own disk blanks and turn them into gears, hand cranks, dials and whatnot.

Kind of like this beautiful 6" off center cut gear from my old Logan lathe.
1720970131824.png

I know my lathe can face, size and ready the casting, Now I need to find out what Mill and dividing head I'll need to cut the teeth of a 5" maybe 6" diameter gear. I have been asked before what do I want to make - this would be the max scope of work I believe I'd need. Can this even be done on a PM-727, PM-932 or PM-833T..?

Thanks for the help... Mike

Indexing heads come in two types but for spur gears either the BS-0 or BS-1 Both will cut a 6" diameter gear. So on a small mill the BS-0 would seem to be the choice. They range in price from eye wateringly expensive to the semi-universal Vevor complete kit for $200±. There are revues online that make it seem like a good deal. I have a PM BS-1 that is also Chinese and has been OK but at nearly twice the price. The larger size works on my knee mill. These heads can be rotated vertically but take up lots of Z axis space. To cut a gear you will mount an arbore, that you will need to make, between centers and drive it with dog (buy or make.) Next you need to determine the specifications of the gear you want. Then buy a set of gear cutters for that. You will need a way to cut keyways. It is possible to do W/O a real broaching setup.
It is possible to make your own gear cutters. There are several YouTube videos about doing it. This one is really good: Involuter? I barely know her!
Inheritance Machining.
If you have a rotary table you can also cut gears using that set on edge. Ideally using indexing discs but a decent approximation for slow speed gears can be made using the dial.
Myself, being cheap and wanting to see if I could actually make a gear, I hand ground a tool to visually match (±) a sample gear. I made a holder for it that looks very similar to a fly cutter but straight instead of angled. It worked well enough to make some aluminum and some acetal gears that I test ran on my lathe as change gears. Both materials have run fine. They may actually have an advantage, if you crash the lathe they will shear first saving the rest. Have fun!

I have a PM BS-0 which is a good fit for the 7x size mills. Not really a huge size difference between BS-0 and BS-1. Enough to matter on a small mill, but the BS-0 is not tiny if you get that and later get a bigger mill.
I'm fairly certain a BS-0 could be used to make a 6" gear. Certainly close to its limit, but I think possible.

The BS-2 is quite a bit larger and a universal dividing head meaning it can do more complicated work.

Matt from PM admitted their dividing heads are probably made in the same factory, as the cheap ones on ebay. What you are paying for with PM is better QC, better packaging (less chance of shipping damage) and somebody that will make it right if there is a defect / damage.

There have been a few members who bought the cheapest ones on ebay, and some ship in the display carton which is not up to the job for shipping a heavy chunk of metal. PM ships in a well padded heavy box.

These Chinese dividing heads are surprisingly well made. You can expect to need to do the usual disassembly, clean, and final fitting, but they are quite a bargain vs vintage USA models which are often incomplete, and still several times the price.

Indexing heads come in two types but for spur gears either the BS-0 or BS-1 Both will cut a 6" diameter gear.
Hello Larry$

No joke I have watched several videos these last couple weeks, most show how to make your own gears and some show making cutters using end mills, but none hinted at what size machines were in use.... I have looked on these forums and else where for a Brown & Sharpe #0 dividing head to see what Mill they are being used on..

I've hunted eBay and a few other places - lol one Add said for use on a #1 size mill - No idea what a number #1 size milll is.

As you said pricing is all over the place, and I lack the knowledge to make an informed decision so I would probably go with PM or Shars. I don't mind spending on a known good Indexing head.

Accusize has a BS-0 for $1032.00
Shars has a BS-0 for $385.00
Vevor like you said has a BS-0 for $199.00
PM has a BS-0 for $399.00

Some come with only a Back Plate while others like PM come with a chuck already mounted.

Most of the BS-0 are about 4" centers and BS-1 are 5" centers..

I have lots more research todo, like what size Indexing heads need what amount of Y and Z clearance to operate. For instance the PM- 727V Max Distance Spindle to Table: 18-1/4″ and Cross Travel (Y Axis) of 8.5″

Thanks Mike.

The BS-0 size has a center height of 3-15/16” on the PM website, so will easily be able to cut a 6” gear on it. I bought a Vertex BS-0 sized dividing head and it seems like the right size for my Burke Millrite with an 8x32 table. The Vertex was a NOS (new old stock) on Ebay that was about 10 years old and still had the factory cosmoline and cost $400. I don’t believe Vertex makes them any longer, but if you can find one in good condition, they were made in Taiwan and very good quality. I would suspect the one you found at Penn Tool is made in Taiwan at that price, but Penn Tool is over priced on many things, so maybe not. You might find the same thing cheaper elsewhere.

Another place to look at options is Ajax Tool Supply, https://www.ajaxtoolsupply.com/7insediheset.html. They have a BS-0 size unit, but call it a 7-1/2. They also have super spacers and rotary tables, so you can compare the features to see what you want.

I have looked on these forums and else where for a Brown & Sharpe #0 dividing head to see what Mill they are being used on..

This is the BS-0 on my mill, the table is 6x24" so just a pinch smaller than your G0704. That is a 5" vice on the table to the right.

Clausing with BS0.jpg

The BS-0 size has a center height of 3-15/16” on the PM website, so will easily be able to cut a 6” gear on it. I bought a Vertex BS-0 sized dividing head and it seems like the right size for my Burke Millrite with an 8x32 table. The Vertex was a NOS (new old stock) on Ebay that was about 10 years old and still had the factory cosmoline and cost $400. I don’t believe Vertex makes them any longer, but if you can find one in good condition, they were made in Taiwan and very good quality. I would suspect the one you found at Penn Tool is made in Taiwan at that price, but Penn Tool is over priced on many things, so maybe not. You might find the same thing cheaper elsewhere.

Another place to look at options is Ajax Tool Supply, https://www.ajaxtoolsupply.com/7insediheset.html. They have a BS-0 size unit, but call it a 7-1/2. They also have super spacers and rotary tables, so you can compare the features to see what you want.
Hi ischgl99
I looked at that Ajax link and they want 750.00 for it... which would be fine, but it look identical to all the rest of the Chinese one on the market.. I don't know enough yet to discern between them all just yet...

I also noticed they carried Vertex ones as well... so I am going to keep them in mind as I get more info... Thank you sir...

Back