Looking for my perfect size hobby mill....

Congratulations!!

G0704 was my first milling machine. I still have it.

You will just need to avoid doing any aggressive cutting with it.

I am turning mine into a CNC machine to learn how to use something like that.

CNC G0704-1.jpeg

CNC G0704-2.jpeg

lol "I was just doing more research on the PM-932 PDF, comparing prices and read that the stand comes standard with the PM-940 PDF... making them both the same price in the end - I just said its Disheartening, and cant justify paying the same price for a lessor machine is all..."

that was the part i was trying to convey to you, its not that the 932 is a bad choice but with everything you get for less than 1k (a lot less depending on the config) there is no real reason to get the 932 (at this time).
anyway the G0704 looks good and is the big brother to my starter mill, the G0758, i'm sure it will be a good learning mill for you.
BTW i found a place to get steel gears for the gear train on the G0758, I'm not sure but they may be the same parts in the G0704 so after i find time to install mine you may be interested in the results.
Metal Gear mod, absolutely...!

It is what it is.

The terrible part is that since I was forced into 'retirement', I can no longer afford to replace them.

The good news is that I'm doing much better since I decided to stay away from doctors, hospitals, and their Big Pharma poisons. But that's a different story.

Congrats on your G0704. I was given back a Weiss PM25 (the last one Matt sold), that I had given to a friend when I bought my larger machines. Guess he felt sorry for me.

Learn your new mill, it's capabilities, and shortcomings, and make notes for your next machine. A suggestion? These are small mills with small work envelopes and capabilities. I seldom ever use a 1/2" end mill in mine. Mostly 1/4" end mills and sometimes 3/8 end mills. For 'hogging' material I use 3/8" corn cob (roughers) end mills. Larger end mills are just too hard on the machine. If in doubt about a cut, go slower and smaller (cutter, DOC, etc.) than you think you should. The mill and cutter will tell you when they are happy, and when they are not. :)
When I was milling with the drill press I had a 3/4" end mill I used as a face mill which worked very well.

Congratulations!!

G0704 was my first milling machine. I still have it.

You will just need to avoid doing any aggressive cutting with it.

I am turning mine into a CNC machine to learn how to use something like that.

View attachment 493885
View attachment 493886
I saw that in the garage photo you posted a few pages back.... but I also saw what looks like a pristine HF 9x20 in that photo, stating to feel like im copying you...:)

It runs, that's good right... I could be wrong but I don't think its had very much heavy use, persons hobby is RC Planes & Boats,

I just ran the X & Y a little looking for tight spots & dings, none found, only extra it came with is a Vice still connected to its swivel base.. Ill go through and clean it up this week & find where they hide the magic in these things.

I told a fib saying I have mill coming on a slow boat from china, but its kind of true since I'm really using this to figure out what I actually need. :) should be fun to see if it can slowly mill a T-nut for my lathe, Maybe it will surprise me - worst case scenario I finally have some where to start.

Like you say its a cheap education going this route.
I pulled the swivel base off my vise, I put it on if I need it, it eats Z-axis travel.

here is the thread from the grizzly forum:
towards the bottom is a link to the gears
"For WMD16V WMD20V WMD25VL JYP250V JYP250VF JYP290VF JYP300VF"
the WMD is a reference to the Wiess 16V which i think == the g0758 I also think the WMD25VL is the Wiess mill that is the base for the G0704 but still investigating. the parts drawing is an exact match for the Grizzly parts drawing for the G0758 with the parts starting with a 2 instead of 1 so 130 Grizzly == 230 in that drawing. I have purchased the set and just need to get the time to install but they look right on the mill.

Last edited:
When I was milling with the drill press I had a 3/4" end mill I used as a face mill which worked very well.
I have a cutter with indexable inserts that is 1" I believe. It's kinda hard on the spindle's worn splines, so very shallow cuts and only if I need it. It came back with the mill? *shrug*

I pulled the swivel base off my vise, I put it on if I need it, it eats Z-axis travel.
not sure on the G0704 but on the G0758 i flipped the Z dove tail slide and got about 4" more Z travel.
the extreme up position gives me like 14" from spindle and table vs the 8-3/4 of the stock mill (I don't do work at the extreme but nice for tool changes) i have closer to 12" for working.

Attachments

• IMG_5812.jpeg
    IMG_5812.jpeg
    392.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5811.jpeg
    IMG_5811.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5810.jpeg
    IMG_5810.jpeg
    343.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5808.jpeg
    IMG_5808.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5798.jpeg
    IMG_5798.jpeg
    298.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
not sure on the G0704 but on the G0758 i flipped the Z dove tail slide and got about 4" more Z travel.
the extreme up position gives me like 14" from spindle and table vs the 8-3/4 of the stock mill (I don't do work at the extreme but nice for tool changes) i have closer to 12" for working.
Now your just bragging... LOL

I have never heard anyone say, "I have too much Z axis travel"....

Back