NSFW Last Word repair

Warning: thread may contain photos that are not for the squeamish.
I bought one many years ago because they were talked up in one of the Machinist's Bedside Reader books. Fast forward a decade or so and I worked where we had a shop with some very talented toolmakers. In talking to one, he told me the very same thing @RaisedByWolves is saying. Haven't touched it since...

GsT

If you've already had pieces go flying then the battle is already lost- I'd just get another one. Life is too short

how did you clean it. I soak them in clean mineral spirits, then compressed air at like 10-15 lbs to blow the ms out. that usually unsticks them.
I have a super old one, where the dial does not move. I don't use it much. Only when I can't get my existing snugs to work for me. It's a last resort. My Mitutoyo test indicator or my bestest are my first choices.
Hi, I put the parts in my ultrasonic washer for about 30 minutes with soapy water, I think I should have just used mineral spirits or lacquer thinner.
I have a good indicator, just trying to repair this one

Hi, I put the parts in my ultrasonic washer for about 30 minutes with soapy water, I think I should have just used mineral spirits or lacquer thinner.
I have a good indicator, just trying to repair this one

Starrett has recommended removing the screw plugs and using:
  • Isopropyl Alcohol
  • Non-Residue Electronics Spray Cleaner

For crusty micrometers they soak them in Marvel Mystery Oil for 1 — 2 weeks and they come apart reasonably easily. For a really nasty/rusty mic I got in a mixed lot of stuff they were OK with:
  1. Surface Clean with (real) Mineral Spirits & Brush
  2. Marvel Mystery Oil Soak
  3. Disassemble Then Soak Rusty Parts in Evapo-Rust
(Actually, the Tech initially told my contact to use Gasoline or Lacolene, but in any case stay away from soap/detergent & water as it will leave a residue)

Back