K&T Vertical Mill

Welcome to the forum. That one is capable of some serious metal removal. I have a slightly smaller Gorton horizontal with vertical head which I now have a big enough RPC to get up and running. Mike

I did some cleaning out on this. The motor cabinet floor was FULL of chips although i haven't figured out how they get in there.
I took both side covers off, cleaned and refinished them. Slowly going to work around the machine cleaning up the paint. The lower oil galley on the spindle is seeping through some flange bolts down onto the deck. Going to drain then re-gasket and refill with new oil. Will have to do some digging on vintagemachine.org to find a spec on the oil type.

Nice. 2 years ago I picked up a 1940 ish 4H vertical mill. I finally got it into my shop last fall, but haven’t had time to get it hooked up yet. I fear I might need to put in a 5 or 7.5 hp motor in stead of the 10hp in it now, due to lack of enough power in my shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has a 30hp 440v motor in it currently, the tag says the machine consumes max 44a 440v. I haven't looked into whether the motor is able to be rewired and switched to 220v. I have 600 amps worth of 220 3ph available and could do a step-up transformer if I really needed to.

Back