Grizzly Surface plate? Snag or Pass

I didn't ever think I would need to measure in 0001 either . But now I find myself only using the micrometers and indicators that have the 10ths vernier. My hobby is not machining (making chips) My Hobby is rebuilding and restoring Vintage and Antique machines. So, .001 is a lot when you realize it is always going to be transferred into the parts you are making on your machine. And that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

@ltlvt exactly! each of us has different needs. If you need accurate reference for all your measurements, a surface plate and a set of gauge blocks is the foundation. If your accuracy needs is int the half-thou to 3/4 thou range, then a good set of mics and mic references is all you need.

I learned to do layout with a surface plate and a height gauge. So I use the techniques I have been taught!

@ltlvt exactly! each of us has different needs. If you need accurate reference for all your measurements, a surface plate and a set of gauge blocks is the foundation. If your accuracy needs is int the half-thou to 3/4 thou range, then a good set of mics and mic references is all you need.

I learned to do layout with a surface plate and a height gauge. So I use the techniques I have been taught!
I am a both needs kind of guy. If my neighbor needs a bolt shortened I use my lathe and a hack saw. If I am making parts FOR THE LATHE I use all the precision I have to make them. And holding my breath while making the parts for the lathe is also included. lol

My moto is "Be prepared" "Better to Have and Not Need than to Need and Not Have" When I was growing up daddy didn't have tools. Having 2 9/16"/1/2" was something I always wanted. Now I trip over tools and can't pass up a deal on good tools.

Asking to borrow a tool is against my religion. I simply will not borrow anything including buying on credit. Any interest I pay is money I could either save or spend on something I need or want. Easy credit is the decay of any society.

Last edited:
Back