Grizzly Surface plate? Snag or Pass

For layout work, I find even a 12 x 18 to be cramped. I was finally given an 18 x 24, which I feel is just about the perfect size for a small home shop. Someday I hope to get it calibrated, but it does what I need considering I don't own a tenth indicator. Now that I have a surface grinder I may have to get one.

How much accuracy do you require?
I do some precision work but most is +/-.005 and I utilize a poor-mans solution for a surface plate since I pretty much use it for scribing lines. I'm old school and it would would taboo to scribe lines with the edge of my caliper. I went to my Lowe's store and purchased 2- 12X12 ground marble floor tiles. I glued them together to gain some thickness and rigidity. I spent less than $10 and the accuracy across the surface is .001". Not perfect but well enough for what I do. If you opt for this option I would take a reliable straight edge and verify the flatness of the surface. The important part is that the surface is a ground surface with no coating of any kind. The tile I have is ground and polished.
Tandy Leather sells a 1" thick piece of granite which is flat enough for most hobby work at a reasonable price. Personally the 9" dimension is a bit small, my plate is 12" x 18" and I find it perfect, I do not regret buying it but the money could have been spent on other things. The surface plate isn't really the expensive part of that equation though, the metrology instruments are the pricey part.

I have a 12x18 Grizzly plate, it is a good size for a hobby shop to start out with, but about the smallest I would want. I will be getting an 18x24 when I find one for a good price, the extra room will be appreciated.

To start out, you might want to see if a local granite countertop place has a remnant they can cut to the size you need. That might get you a more useful size for no more than what the Grizzly with shipping costs.

Some folks are happy with thick modern glass (3/8” or thicker) for doing chores like lapping and laying out .
The glass may scratch easily, but if handled gingerly-it can suffice.
I have tested granite drops from countertops, they are not very flat in comparison to a surface plate, but they may have a use in non precision layout or lapping parts relatively flat

I've read numerous recommendations over the years for counter top granite instead of surface plates, however I don't remember ever seeing a dimensional report for even one of those counter top remnants. I guess different folks work with different definitions of metrology.

I just got my first mill and lathe. I am gearing up to go to work on hobby parts and basic farm equipment parts. I think I should get myself a surface plate. I found a local add for a 9x12x3 plate from grizzly that should do the job till I can afford a bigger plate.

I bought a plate, long ago, from a woodworking store. It came with a certificate that showed the "map" of the surface. The highest point is within two ten thousandths of an inch of the lowest point. The plate is the exact same size as standard sand paper. So I've never felt the need to check it's accuracy, because A, given what I just said about it, I freaking doubt it, and B, I just don't care. It's small, I use it mostly for sandpaper anyhow...

I have a larger plate, that's not a surface plate at all. It's a square chunk of a "leg" from a granite bench that came unglued and was being thrown away. The polished side, that process inherently puts a "dome" on the surface. In my case, it's a few thousandths, and on the piece I saved, I can find where the "center" of that dome ended up. A few thousandths on a surface plate? That's grounds for disposal and replacement right there, you couldn't pay somebody to lap that in.... But it does fine for me. And if I want, the "saw cut" face opposite the polished face- That's got a "texture", but it's pretty danged flat overall. Perfect? Heck no. But if I can't FIND the error, then the error is within acceptable tolerances.

Both of them do good work for me. Mostly I use "dome shaped" chunk of furniture grade granite though.

But looking at the price compared to a say starrett plate of similar size. The grizzly is less than a 1/4 of the price.

Think that's a bunch? Wait until you find the price of the accessories and metrology that it takes to actually make good use of a "good" surface plate.

When it comes to precision things, the initial "foot in the door" stuff is cheap. Each bit of accuracy you add to it, that takes time, effort, knowledge, well tested processes, and that drives the price up. Add to that, the higher the precision, the lower number of potential customers, therefore lesser sales, so to set up a "run" costs WAY more per unit... So in the end, as accuracy goes up incrementally, the price goes up geometrically.

Is there really that big of a difference in quality to just get a better one? Or will a clean surface plate from any manufacturer do?

There are some quality differences, but mostly it's in the finish, and the precision. If you're coming right out of the gate by spec'ing parts at 50 millionths of an inch, you need to get your head examined you want a surface plate that's pretty danged spectacular to match that accuracy. And the measuring tools to support that. If you're spec'ing parts to a thousandth, then you want something that "acts like it's flat". If you're scribing cut lines, go to the lumber department at the box store, and grab a premade melamine plywood shelf... Or just do that on your unknown condition local pickup plate that was at a good price. If you're scribing reference lines to keep you honest, it doesn't matter if it's off because you'll be doing it by the numbers, and that really just makes sure you don't cut on the wrong side or end.... If you're scribing actual cut lines because you don't need that precision, well, there ya go. I expect you'll find that a surface plate has a lot less value than it would first seem. I have found that a not flat but close enough that I don't care" plate is a far more useful tool. Most of the things I do on a surface plate, the things that make it useful... you would not do to a good plate, ever.

When and if (and only if) any of these half baked "starter" solutions comes up short, then and only then are you gonna know what you want or need. (The "farm repair" part "needs" only what it needs. The "hobby projects" thing... That's a whole can full of subjectiveness, because "want" becomes a more valid consideration). Do not let me in any way discourage you from something you WANT to have. But I think that the internet in general makes surfface plates appear to be more than they are, NOT because anybody's trying promote them or get you to buy one, but rather it's is a very photogenic way to SHOW you the measurements they're taking. It's (usually) not the most practical way.

My vote is this- If you can get "some" surface plate (of unknown precision initially, used, with unknown wear, whatever...), if you get SOME plate, dirt cheap, that's perfect. (And seriously, I'm only half way joking about the melamine shelf. They're pretty flat if you're just using it for scribing things....) Leverage that cheap plate as far as it will go, that will help you decide what accuracy/precision you want or need, and just as important, what SIZE you need. That's a huge and very important variable too. Not big enough is a waste of money and space. Big enough to be guaranteed to be big enough, that's thousands of pounds and takes up room enough for a couple of machine tools. You really need to know what YOU need, and what YOU want. In the mean time, take the metrology budget and look at-

A mediocre to OK set of micrometers, 3 piece, 0 to 3 inches, and resolving to tenths.
Usually you won't even be working out the vernier, but it's SO little difference in cost, one set is fine.
An EXCELLENT quality 6 or 8 inch digital caliper for general use.
This is a workhorse.
An expendable to excellent (your call) LEFT HANDED 6 inch digital caliper.
Even if you're right handed. Park it right near the lathe.
A good or better quality telescoping bore gauge set.

That list right there is going to do 96 percent of the precision measuring in your shop, especiallly early on, and will never be "obsoleted". And do not involve the surface plate. But just like the plate, the price goes up geometrically for higher precision and niche use cases. Get what you need from there.

I say get the used plate if there's a deal to be had. Even if you decide you need (or want) a lab grade micro inch precision plate, I think you'll find that the beater will get used more often.

Granite Countertop Process:

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything on the details of how commercial surface plates are made, other than these short clips:

I guess Starrett isn't going to show how they do some things.

I think we would all agree that while granite countertops are flat-ish, granite surface plates are FLAT.

Keep in mind that flat isn't really flat: the surface of a surface plate has hills & valleys, but depending on the grade the difference between the highest hill and lowest valley is very small.

I've read numerous recommendations over the years for counter top granite instead of surface plates, however I don't remember ever seeing a dimensional report for even one of those counter top remnants. I guess different folks work with different definitions of metrology.
I have a 12”x12” piece from our countertops I tested with my Starrett precision straight edge and couldn’t fit a .001” feeler gauge under it at any point on it. I also checked for flatness with my surface plate and got .002” maximum deviation, I wouldn’t trust it for precision measurements for customer projects, but I would have no problems using that for most of what gets done in a hobby shop. I don’t know if that is typical of granite countertop, or I just got lucky.

I saw a comprehensive tour of Standridge Granite's operations, and they cut their own granite blocks, then blanchard grind them. This gets them close. Then they surface grind them on a heavily modified surface grinder, getting them to about a tenth. Then they lap them and grade the result.

They could make all surface plates to AA (way too costly). The very flattest of the ones that come out of 1st stage lapping go on to become the flatter plates.

I started with an 8X10 lee valley plate - it worked, but was too small for my work. I then bought 2 very cheap 12X18 offshore plates that did me for a long time. I ended up with an 18X24" Mitutoyo AA grade surface plate that I use in conjunction with a cheap offshore plate. For quick measuring and marking, it is on the 50$ offshore plate. All critical measurements are done on the Mitutoyo.

To use it I have gauge blocks, accurate angle blocks, height gauges, cylinder square, and a host of other metrology equipment. But the work I do often requires sub-tenths accuracy, and this is how I know how to get it.

Back