ELECTRONIC LEADSCREW

I am working on a Clough 42 ELS using a Teknic SDSK 23 servo motor. I installed the motor to the lead screw and auto-tuned it and now it spins smoothly under power (meaning through the ClearPath MSP tuning software). Had a bit of difficulty wiring it up (and posted separately about it) but it does spin now, after switching a few of the settings (thanks to this post). Will still need to attach the encoder then dial in the gear ratios. Once up and runnig will change to a fork of the Clough product that does threading to a shoulder. SDSK INSTALLED 1.JPG

SDSK INSTALLED 2.JPG

Last edited:
77729d8deba25a8dd621fb0b05adbde2.jpg

bdb37ac13bcbd4814c36a2e5bd60fc1f.jpg

2a5ddf1eead07cfe402586ad4b48d270.jpg

Finished the mechanical part of the ELS and there is enough clearance to put the cover back, after I made a cut out for the motor. the motor sticks out 3 1/4 inches from the cover or 2 inches over the chip tray. I might build a cage to protect it from being bumped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hello everyone, I am starting this thread to gather resources and ask questions about turning. I am about to put down the money for a new Eisen 1340 lathe. Have started to learn the basics of turning, by reading the SouthBend book by O'Brien and O'Brien. Have zero interest in grinding my own cutters, and would like insert tools, so have started reading @davidpbest 's superb book "Intro to Indexable Tooling."

Any advice to a novice? Anything about my choice of lathe I should know -- have not yet sent the money and have a last minute chance of walking back if a compelling reason emerges. By way of background, I looked at the usual hobbyist options (PM, etc) and have even toyed with buying a Hardinge from 1946 but as a complete and total noob, I cannot asses the wear and tear in an old lathe. So I have a strong preference to buying new Taiwanese, and not interested in old iron. Having bought a PM mill I am OK with them but am also ready to try smth different, hence looking at Eisen, which is probably similar in most regards, but slightly better value it seems. Initially wanted a 1324 but they are out so 1340 it is. Can not afford a 3-phase, thus will stay 220 V 1-ph.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
You find single phase is better .
Selling a person with 3 phase does care . But someone with only will pay more.
If ever need off generator single is a lot easier

Dave

You find single phase is better .
Selling a person with 3 phase does care . But someone with only will pay more.
If ever need off generator single is a lot easier

Dave

Bought a single phase and converted it to a VFD plus 3phase motor. The thread above describes (part of) the journey.

77729d8deba25a8dd621fb0b05adbde2.jpg

bdb37ac13bcbd4814c36a2e5bd60fc1f.jpg

2a5ddf1eead07cfe402586ad4b48d270.jpg

Finished the mechanical part of the ELS and there is enough clearance to put the cover back, after I made a cut out for the motor. the motor sticks out 3 1/4 inches from the cover or 2 inches over the chip tray. I might build a cage to protect it from being bumped.

This is a little more than dipping one's toes into something. And Way cooler than turning.

Back