Brought home a used G0704 to get my feet wet...

@gerritv @Aaron_W @verbotenwhisky Lets see your favorite project...? I will go first.

Don't laugh, My coolest project.. I had to make 60+ Anodes for an electrolysis tank I built to fit a Lathe Bed.
I was restoring an old Logan 1870 lathe... I didn't want to buy 10 Gal of Evapo-Rust.

I used the old reliable HF 9x19 to crate varying length of anodes and stringers.

In just a few hrs over night I was able to remove the 50+ years of grease, grime, paint & rust from the old lathe bed, no scrubbing or brushing.
just pulled it out rinsed it off and painted it...

LatheBathRebar1.jpg

LatheBathRebar.jpg

LatheBathRebar2.jpg

LatheBedCrud.jpg

BeforeBath.jpg

AfterBath.jpg

StripedRePaintedBedSupport.jpg

Lets see yours.

Built a Synchronome Master clock on a 1960's casting. All other parts made by hand except round things done on the 1022 and Sherline lathe. Still need to make a case, I have 30yr kiln dried oak already milled and ready to go.

Attachments

• IMG_20231020_151218.jpg
    IMG_20231020_151218.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Built a Synchronome Master clock on a 1960's casting. All other parts made by hand except round things things done on the 1022 and Sherline lathe. Still need to make a case, I have 30yr kiln dried oak already milled and ready to go.
That's a sick amount of work... So cool.!
Something tells me before your done your gunna polish up all that brass - That's a prize piece right there.

Did you wind the coils too..?

Last edited:
Brass was grained and then coated with a very thin layer of bees wax to prevent tarnishing. Staying untarnished so far.

Hello..

I'm asking just in case, is there is any advantage to buying a shars R8 fly cutter that holds 5/16" or 3/8" cutting tool bit, the one I bought holds a 1/2" cutting tool bit.

Hello..

I'm asking just in case, is there is any advantage to buying a shars R8 fly cutter that holds 5/16" or 3/8" cutting tool bit, the one I bought holds a 1/2" cutting tool bit.
Not really for the same size. However, HSS tool blanks in the smaller size are cheaper. They take less time to grind as well.

Not really for the same size. However, HSS tool blanks in the smaller size are cheaper. They take less time to grind as well.
hello..
is it safe to say a larger HSS tool bit cuts better then a smaller one if cost isn't in the equation..? a 1/2" would be superior to a 5/16 say.

Last edited:
hello..
is it safe to say a larger HSS tool bit it cuts better then a smaller one if cost isn't in the equation..? a !/2" would be superior to a 5/16 say.
Honestly, I don't think it matters. We are splitting hairs at this point. Fly cutting only removes a small amount of material at a time, (0.002-0.005") so 3/8 or 5/16 is fine. 1/2" is just overkill for this, and costs more. If you have $$$ burning a hole in your pocket, slow down, I can assure you, you will need more tooling, but later.

Don't buy way too much stuff, you may never use it. Buy it as you need it. Sometimes slowing down and thinking about a machining problem reveals an easier way to do it, with the stuff you have - rather than having to get some magic tool. There's lots of ways to solve a machining problem and often the best way is to use your head, not your wallet.

Don't get me wrong, having a fly cutter is a good thing. But it need not be ultra overkill to be useful. A 5/16 or 3/8 cutter will suit you fine. Should you require bigger stuff in the future, you will then have the experience to buy it or make your own tooling.

Honestly, I don't think it matters. We are splitting hairs at this point. Fly cutting only removes a small amount of material at a time, (0.002-0.005") so 3/8 or 5/16 is fine. 1/2" is just overkill for this, and costs more. If you have $$$ burning a hole in your pocket, slow down, I can assure you, you will need more tooling, but later.

Don't buy way too much stuff, you may never use it. Buy it as you need it. Sometimes slowing down and thinking about a machining problem reveals an easier way to do it, with the stuff you have - rather than having to get some magic tool. There's lots of ways to solve a machining problem and often the best way is to use your head, not your wallet.

Don't get me wrong, having a fly cutter is a good thing. But it need not be ultra overkill to be useful. A 5/16 or 3/8 cutter will suit you fine. Should you require bigger stuff in the future, you will then have the experience to buy it or make your own tooling.
My small fly cutter uses a 5/16" tool and covers 3" at a pass. Wobblyhand is correct, 0.005 is a very ambitious cut, 0.002 at a pass is more realistic, its for flatness and finish.

Hello... I figured it might be wise to ask before I bought one of those... Thanks Mike.

My small fly cutter uses a 5/16" tool and covers 3" at a pass. Wobblyhand is correct, 0.005 is a very ambitious cut, 0.002 at a pass is more realistic, its for flatness and finish.

Hello you..
The 2" fly cutter I bought uses Inserts, should I pick up some HSS tool bits just in case, also I've read many times that people have good success using aluminum cutting inserts for steel because they are sharper..?
Thanks, Mike.

Back