Brought home a used G0704 to get my feet wet...

My thinking is grease is just liquid sandpaper on open air surfaces like ways but great for semi enclosed area like gears and bearings...
Yep, grease will capture and hold chips and that's not what you want.

Sliding surfaces are best off with Way Oil (ISO 68) and personally for gears and plain bearings I use ISO Hydraulic Oil (ISO 32), there may be better alternatives for the latter though.

Last edited:
Yep, grease will capture and hold chips and that's not what you want.

Sliding surfaces are best off with Way Oil (ISO 68) and personally for gears and plain bearings I use ISO Hydraulic Oil (ISO 32), there may be better alternatives for the latter though.
Hi all...
I have some nice heavy moly grease for the concealed Crank Handle Thrust Bearings, No oil ports so grease it is...

+1 on a set of R9 collets! End mill holders really aren't useful for end mills that are "small" (think: under 3/4"). And they eat up your daylight! Collets are your go-to 80% of the time, with a drill Chuck rounding out the list . Heck, I don't even OWN an end mill holder for my Rockwell mill!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
Im a big fan of endmill holders. For smaller tools, you lose very little overhead. It saves a lot of fussing around for each tool change. Still, you need collets. So if it's one or the other, get collets.

The saddles installed and initial lash & gibb adjustments made, The tables next... Its taking forever to get all the dried grease and muck off but no issues have been found thus far.

Mill Saddle Installed.jpg

Saddle Installed.jpg

More photos to come, thanks for looking.

Back