Brought home a used G0704 to get my feet wet...

Roughing seems to imply heavy cuts?
I buy these 4flute, 5, 6 and 8mm end mills from https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003464938830.html and other suppliers there. I have found no reason to use anything bigger even on larger parts. Esp. the 6mm I can run at 2000rpm at quite a high feed rate even in steel making up for any disadvantage from less cut width.

Gerrit

Roughing seems to imply heavy cuts?
I buy these 4flute, 5, 6 and 8mm end mills from https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003464938830.html and other suppliers there. I have found no reason to use anything bigger even on larger parts. Esp. the 6mm I can run at 2000rpm at quite a high feed rate even in steel making up for any disadvantage from less cut width.

Gerrit

No intentional heavy roughing cuts, Just testing... My thinking is serrated teeth require less pressure to take lighter cuts than a solid blade. just testing out theories.

I bought 4 each 1/4 - 5/16 - 3/8, all 4 flute HSS short endmills - I also need to get a few 2 flute end mills as well to test the difference out , I bought a few Carbide roughing mills to test out, and also need to get some HSS ones as well. I know nothing about milling, I am just doing the pay to play to figure it out...

Those price off aliexpress are amazing. I've never bought stuff from them, but there's a first time for everything I guess... ) thanks for the link.

I can run at 2000rpm at quite a high feed rate even in steel making up for any disadvantage from less cut width.

Gerrit

You wouldn't happen to have a short video of that possibly...? Curious how much endmill area and depth can be used in a single pass with out damage an endmill. Thanks Mike.

No intentional heavy roughing cuts, Just testing... My thinking is serrated teeth require less pressure to take lighter cuts than a solid blade. just testing out theories.

I bought 4 each 1/4 - 5/16 - 3/8, all 4 flute HSS short endmills - I also need to get a few 2 flute end mills as well to test the difference out , I bought a few Carbide roughing mills to test out, and also need to get some HSS ones as well. I know nothing about milling, I am just doing the pay to play to figure it out...

Those price off aliexpress are amazing. I've never bought stuff from them, but there's a first time for everything I guess... ) thanks for the link.

You wouldn't happen to have a short video of that possibly...? Curious how much endmill area and depth can be used in a single pass with out damage an endmill. Thanks Mike.

Two and three flute endmills are recommended for aluminum. Aluminum can be sticky so fewer flutes is supposed to help clear the chips better.

Two and three flute endmills are recommended for aluminum. Aluminum can be sticky so fewer flutes is supposed to help clear the chips better.
Thanks Aaron, just saved me from buying 2 flute endmills thank you sir.

OTOH 2 flute end mills are useful for cutting slots, they tend to not cut as much oversize as 4 fl in that situation. E.g. a .25" 4fl will cut a wider than .25" slot.

Short video, poor lighting but sound is there.
6mm 4fl carbide end mill from the AliExpress link above. CRS. I fed X in convential milling initially to point where it hinted at resonance, slowed down a bit.
5mm doc, 3mm woc

Attachments

• IMGW2484 (Medium).JPG
    IMGW2484 (Medium).JPG
    231 KB · Views: 11
  • IMGW2485 (Medium).JPG
    IMGW2485 (Medium).JPG
    216.6 KB · Views: 12
Thanks Aaron, just saved me from buying 2 flute endmills thank you sir.
Mike, the only time I use 2 flute is for slot cutting, they will hit the width you are shooting for because they do not push off, a 3 and 4 flute end mile works better for most other things.

When it comes to end mills I generally buy the better quality stuff.

Short video, poor lighting but sound is there.
6mm 4fl carbide end mill from the AliExpress link above. CRS. I fed X in convential milling initially to point where it hinted at resonance, slowed down a bit.
5mm doc, 3mm woc
Thanks for the video.. Exactly the cut I was looking for, that is very similar to the cut I need to make for my first mill project... a T-Nut :) I bought an R8 slotting saw to create a 1/16 relief cut right at the 90° mark as well.

Was that a single pass..? that looks about 5/16 deep and 1/8 wide, based on the measure scale near it.

Thanks for the Video sir... Mike.

.2" deep, .125" wide approximately. I have done deeper with same width of cut. You generally want to stay less than half the diameter of the cutter in this type of cut, else resonance takes over.

Glad to help, too many myths surrounding these machines and AliExpress carbide cutters. For me it is a hobby, if I were doing production stuff I might use different cutters. But maybe not, these last a long time if you don't drop them out of the collet and destroy tips. Thhe tip there is have something soft under the cutter when you open the collet, in case it drops out. Don't ask me how I know :)
Gerrit

Mike, the only time I use 2 flute is for slot cutting, they will hit the width you are shooting for because they do not push off, a 3 and 4 flute end mile works better for most other things.

When it comes to end mills I generally buy the better quality stuff.
Hello..

Any particular brand you like..? Do they last longer or they cut better & cleaner...?

When you say 2 flute for slot cutting do you mean like a key way..? do they plunge cut as well..?

I bought some 4 flute HSS Speed Tiger 5 packs, they seem a bit pricy, Id like to know the brands not to buy based on quality. End Mills probably are an area where its not always you get what you pay for.

End Mill Speed Tiger.jpg

Mike..

Back