Bringing a PM-1054TV-3PH into my Garage

Mine came with,the eye bolt, maybe yours too?

So maybe it is not the best idea to hang a $15K machine by a $7 eye bolt?

The load for lifting a mill is quite low compared to the limit for a screw of this size; I wouldn’t hesitate to use that eye screw. If one were lifting somewhere close to the screw’s supposed limit, then sure, being particular might make sense.

I think you’re far more likely to pull poorly formed threads or a chunk of casting out of the ram than have the screw fail.

Erik, Here is a picture of the 4 skates I built last year in various stages of assembly. You wouldn't need the ball bearing and races to get the job done, just some plate, axle material and some bearings. These axles were .750, turned down to a snug fit inside the bearings. All the other steel is half inch. To tease my son, who helped get my lathe home, I sent him a video of his momma pushing the Victor 1640 across the garage by herself without out any effort (he is a competitive weight lifter, she is 5'3" 120 pounds dripping wet).
1651154706899.png

At the time that I brought the lathe and mill home, I didn't own a toe jack. I just recently made one. My criteria was to make sure I had enough lift to clear a 4x4 piece of lumber. This 4 ton jack does it no problem.
IMG_8723.jpg
IMG_8725.jpg

These items store easily and its comforting to know that if I need to move any big pieces, I don't have to spend a couple days trying to figure out in my head how to do it.

My PM mill came with the eye bolt. Once on the floor the mill can easily moved around with a pinch bar, inches at a time. Just don't be in a rush.

@Just for fun , Thanks, they sure take the work out things. I have a painted concrete floor that prefers the smooth bearings as well. They leave no marks as long as you don't try and turn too abruptly.

I would look into a permanent pallet or other raised footing that will allow the use of a pallet jack, then have the riggers place the mill on it.

It doesn't really make sense to me to pay riggers to only do half the job. I'd actually be more comfortable moving the mill into place with a forklift, than getting it off the pallet.

As far as the lathe goes, I'd definitely have them put it back in place. Again you are paying a substantial amount of money, so why do that for only part of the job?

I've moved everything myself, but my "big" machines only weigh 500-900lbs complete, and broke down into smaller pieces.

And, I've had some great members here travel many miles to help when I put out the call. There's nothing like having someone who knows how to do the job and has some tools come and help.

That said, if you really want to do it yourself figuring out what risers you'll want underneath it and making them ahead of time will get you going safely and with minimum hassle. You've had some time to use your lathe, is it the right height for you? How tall do you want your mill to be? This is the perfect time to fabricate risers that will allow you to get a pallet jack underneath for moving your big machines. There was a recent thread where someone did this and it worked out great, look under the Wells-Index section I think.

Riggers charge by the hour so if you have your risers built it'll be easy for them to lift both your machines and let you bolt them up, shouldn't be a problem for them to hold the mill up with a forklift while you remove the pallet and bolt on risers. Then all you need is for them to use a pallet jack to put them in place. You should be able to rent one locally for when you need to move stuff around in the future.

John

Erik, Here is a picture of the 4 skates I built last year in various stages of assembly. You wouldn't need the ball bearing and races to get the job done, just some plate, axle material and some bearings. These axles were .750, turned down to a snug fit inside the bearings. All the other steel is half inch. To tease my son, who helped get my lathe home, I sent him a video of his momma pushing the Victor 1640 across the garage by herself without out any effort (he is a competitive weight lifter, she is 5'3" 120 pounds dripping wet).
View attachment 405396
At the time that I brought the lathe and mill home, I didn't own a toe jack. I just recently made one. My criteria was to make sure I had enough lift to clear a 4x4 piece of lumber. This 4 ton jack does it no problem.
View attachment 405397View attachment 405398
These items store easily and its comforting to know that if I need to move any big pieces, I don't have to spend a couple days trying to figure out in my head how to do it.
I am pretty sure that I am going to end up doing exactly both of those as a future project!

Back