At what point are you considered a "Machinist"?

If anyone has read through this entire thread, I guess by now they have figured out that 'machinist' is just a title that means something different to everyone...

'Machinist' is a lot like 'accurate rifle'... some guys aren't happy unless their rifle can shoot one hole groups at 1000 yards, while others are tickled if they can hit a pie pan at 50 yards...

I once had a co-worker tell me that "$30,000 and 30,000 miles don't make you a biker". I told him that was fine with me... I would still enjoy riding my motorcycle whether I was a 'biker' or not.

My department at work has around 90 machinists (job title)... a former boss has told me several times that, in his opinion, I'm the only 'machinist' there... I don't agree with that, and I don't consider myself to be a machinist.

The point I'm trying to make is, it's a title that means more to the person using it that anyone he may be talking to... the definition can be as broad or as focused as anyone wants it to be.

If you enjoy making chips... or if you are making a living and feeding your family by making chips... that is what is important.

Everything else is just a title...

-Bear
A title is what you pay someone with that is not smart enough to realize the extra money will buy more groceries.....

Regardless of title ................................the only time our fingernails are clean is after a week at the beach . :D
You get a week at the beach??! How did that happen?
I've been "retired" for nearly 10 years and haven't made it to the beach yet. It's probably because I can't sit still and chill.

LOL , you're 1000 miles away from any beach ! :grin: We're 150 miles from OC Maryland but never go . We head to South Myrtle Beach for 2 weeks every year at 530 miles ,

The most abused term is 'Engineer'.
Isn't that the truth?
They have me listed as an Engineering Technician, which is probably close (I have taken engineering classes), but the other day, the boss called the lead drafter "Senior Engineer." It's good I wasn't drinking coffee because I would have spit it out. He is extremely good at Solidworks but readily admits that he cheated his way through the two-year tech drafting program, and he has no engineering classes at all.

Back