At what point are you considered a "Machinist"?

At what point are you considered a "Machinist"?

Depends on who's doing the considering. Some folks that I would consider to be machinists, the next guy might not. Unless you're talking about tests, certifications, licenses and such, "considered" is subjective. And, if "you" means me, probably at no point. ;)

Tom

I'm starting with an assumption, specifically that a person could go to a trade school for training and after graduation could rightfully consider themselves a machinist. Also I assume a person could enter into some type of on the job training apprenticeship and at some point in the future when they make journeyman status would consider themselves a machinist. What about a hobby guy? At what point does a person go from being the owner of a machine to being considered a machinist? Is it when you buy a machine? If not then, when? I believe we are always learning and that there is always more to learn, so we should never stop improving our abilities and capabilities.

I would be very proud to consider myself a machinist, which at this point I can't consider myself one. But what does it take? Just thinking out loud here.
There are some types machine work as self employed will pay very high.

One I have look at was portable line boring and welding. It pays depending where are around $140.00 per hour. There is also lots of welding repair.

Dave

More importantly: why do you care? Since I'm not seeking work as a "machinist" it's really irrelevant what I call myself. I sometimes refer to myself as a "hobby machinist" (weird for someone on this board, eh?), but usually just point out when I can make something - and when I cannot.

That said, some years back an accomplished toolmaker referred to me as a machinist, in response to my saying "I'm not a real machinist, but..." and I considered it a great compliment.

GsT

Isn't this a bit like being a "woodworker"? Woodworking is primarily a hobby. Being a machinist is moving the same direction, working with manual machines (vs. CNC) is becoming less of a trade and more of a hobby, although not yet to the extent of woodworking.

I've done plumbing, wiring, framing, machining, woodworking, gardening, raised horses, fixed cars, etc. I don't consider myself a plumber, electrician, carpenter, machinist, woodworker, farmer, mechanic, etc. In all of these of done them for my own benefit/enlightenment/entertainment, saving some money in doing things myself at the cost of time that I would otherwise spend on the couch in front of the TV.

. In all of these of done them for my own benefit/enlightenment/entertainment, saving some money in doing things myself at the cost of time that I would otherwise spend on the couch in front of the TV.
I do things because I want to. I'd be hard pressed to say I've saved any money if I counted amortizing my tools. That said, I have a few tools that have paid for themselves many times over - my MIG welders perhaps topping the list.

GsT

I do things because I want to. I'd be hard pressed to say I've saved any money if I counted amortizing my tools. That said, I have a few tools that have paid for themselves many times over - my MIG welders perhaps topping the list.

GsT
Yeah, it's not about the money saved or spent. Nor titles. Its about the satisfaction of doing things yourself. Not everyone will understand that, but I'd guess most here will.

Last edited:
More importantly: why do you care? Since I'm not seeking work as a "machinist" it's really irrelevant what I call myself. I sometimes refer to myself as a "hobby machinist" (weird for someone on this board, eh?), but usually just point out when I can make something - and when I cannot.

That said, some years back an accomplished toolmaker referred to me as a machinist, in response to my saying "I'm not a real machinist, but..." and I considered it a great compliment.

GsT
I agree. I also consider myself a "hobby machinist".

I consider myself a weird dude that collects tools with big ambitions.... :grin: As my mother use to say, "I'm like an ant crawling up an elephant's leg with rape on its mind".

Back