2020 POTD Thread Archive

No worry, the antifreeze in the picture is much worse than the pepsi, have you notice the toxic logo in the top of the bottles, i'm running G27 coolant in this car.

Well it took me much more time to change the thermostat then i thought, the coolant was changed last year and i did flash the system, but it is like mud. This time with the thermostat removed i did managed the get it cleaner, i had a bottle in the pit and my garden hose on the top with the engine running, then i drained all the fluid, installed the new thermostat that i tested first and is same make as the original, wich i changed for a used one in 2017 after the original fail apart, the new one has one small cap extra. The thermostat is located on the back just above the axle, its very dirty there and very tight. After refilling the system with coolant i had hard time bleeding the cooling system but i managed to get it on the third try. Then i stuck the temp probe in the interior vents and found that i had heat but very little air flow, so i took the cabin filter out and seen leafs in the blower motor, so i took out the blower and clean it and the entire unit. Assembled it and i had great heat and my engine temp is right at 85 C perfect.
IMG_20201205_135634.jpgIMG_20201205_135642.jpgIMG_20201205_135658.jpgIMG_20201204_152909.jpgIMG_20201205_131040.jpgIMG_20201205_140411.jpgIMG_20201205_155446.jpgIMG_20201205_155454.jpg

I dig out a picture of the original thermostat with 1.8million km on it, and the used one that i just changed today. can you see the metal fatigue after all those heat cycles, that one fail almost closed but i did maneged to get the car home with the heater on full hot driving like a granny.
DSC_0007JPG.jpg.f79f88bff6a8de8b97f436b96108362f.jpg

I had a heater core silt up in an old Focus I once had. Driving home 15h in blizzards with the kids in the back finally got me off my backside to fix it. Took a lot of forward and back flushing to wash it all out. If your coolant looked bad after only a year, might be worth back flushing the radiator and the heater core separately next time. Flushing in the normal coolant direction only gets the easy stuff out, as that's the way coolant is normall flowing anyway. Flushing it in the opposite direction knocks all that deposited silt out. I was amazed - forward flushing ran clear with the garden hose after a few minutes, back flushing after that took 20min or so before the water ran clear. Best heat in any car I've ever had after that!

Turbo diesel engines are hard on the cooling system, and my driving is hard on my cars. I don't expect this car to have a spotlessly clean cooling system with the mileage it has and because its been put together from at least 5 cars. I just need it to work as it should. If only this engine can speak, the places it's been, the torture it's taken all kidding aside that engine is one solid unit.

I finally got my South Bend Heavy 10 (10L) moved. Nothing like pucker power trying to get a beast into it's final resting place over grass.

20201205_120443.jpg

But, now I can get the electronics installed and fire it up.

Sunday is a day for resting, but i couldn't stay out of the garage all day. So i got started on wiring the inspection pit, i run conduit from the floor to the control box and up to the distribution box, i also strip the wires up into the control box. I'm debating should i paint the pit first then mount the lights, because i need to mount them next.
IMG_20201206_185945.jpg

Remember the adage about taking time to sharpen the saw? I figured that Sunday afternoons should be dedicated to such projects, and “infrastructure” improvements would count. I have a repurposed kitchen cabinet i stuck up in the shop awhile ago and just started stuffing things in. Seems like most of my accessory items come in low flat boxes, needing lots of horizontal surface. If they don’t get that, they end up at the bottom of a vertical stack. Now real woodworkers will scoff, but I had some scrap 1/4” plywood, and a small piece of MDF. I just cut the MDF up for the support ends, dado’ed some grooves (i have the Freud “dial-a-dado” set, wow is that nice) and sliced the plywood into two shelves. This made a big increase in surface area, and now it’s way easier to see and access stuff. I have to stick labels on the visible ends now and this project will be complete. Sometimes the little things make a big difference. :)

And, they don’t really bow as bad as it looks in the picture. Yet.

0553C158-1F51-4656-9C1A-B64B03CC9D17.jpeg

On the way back from work, i stopped by my local hardware shop and bought me couple of things. First was two more welding magnets, 8" rim with the worst quality bearings ever, two tire guns, Valve grinding paste, and valve removal tool set. As you can tell i'll be doing some more engine work on couple of cars.
IMG_20201206_180413.jpgIMG_20201206_180855.jpgIMG_20201206_180701.jpgIMG_20201206_180805.jpgIMG_20201206_180500.jpg

Back