2020 POTD Thread Archive

I’m going to be happy to just clean my bench and put up some tools today. When I get going with a project, I just keep taking out the tools and using them. I wait till I’m finished and then clean up. It usually is a mess by the time said projects get finished.
I'm the same, my benches are a real mess i often need to clean off a space just so i can work, i'll take a picture of my bench and my attempt of cleaning it one of this days.

I've been busy with other projects around the house and i've not done any work on the inspection pit scene i've started parking cars above it. So i decided i need to get something done on it, being a weekend everything is closed, so i dug around my old electrical stuff to put together an electrical cabinet for the inspection pit. The box is old and had lots of holes in it that i temporarily put some tape over them, i'll fix it better later, i installed a 10A braker inside it, also install a 50A main switch, then i mounted a simple two button switch for the fan, i'll run a contactor probably, and the silver knob is a 4 position switch for the lights. This are just thing i had laying around but they should work just fine, i plan to run 3x2,5mm solid copper wire from the junction box just above it and conduit down from it to the hole in the floor. I mounted it pretty high above the light switch to leave me a bit more room below.
IMG_20201129_172023.jpg

I also removed the chuck guard on the PM-1030V.

Then I used my newly installed 4 jaw chuck to face off 2 hollow cubes that I had welded up at school. All of the sides had undercut & require some welding repair.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I purchased a cheap keyless chuck a while back. Don’t use it much on my current mill because its on an R8 arbor and most of the time I’m just using a 3/8” or 1/2” mill and I stick on a chuck with a straight 3/8” or 1/2” arbor.
That said, the cheap import Keyless Chucks aren’t even within a mile of closeness to an Albrecht chuck. Sometimes I had to use a channel-locks to tighten it enough so the drill didn’t slip. So I finally drilled and milled a 3/8” jimmy-bar hole in it so I can tighten the damned thing.
And I also made a brass jimmy bar and knurled it.

Attachments

• 2D2445B1-95A5-4E61-A648-00F1880C37D8.jpeg
    2D2445B1-95A5-4E61-A648-00F1880C37D8.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30
  • A195CD96-3C7F-43E5-9BCC-841BA95D8053.jpeg
    A195CD96-3C7F-43E5-9BCC-841BA95D8053.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 46
So we have a 70 year old Live Oak Tree in front of my house that my dad had built in 1952. It’s a huge oak tree. And I always wondered about how good of a wood live oak would be for woodworking. Every time a big branch breaks or we need to get it ”pruned” , I would wonder whether or not it was as good as White Oak or Red Oak. Anyway, I was watching “ Sampson Boat” on YouTube and he’s restoring a 100 year old sail boat. Fantastic Chanel by the way. In one video, he’s getting these huge bronze braces which supports the keel, patterned and cast in a foundry.
But to the point. He’s got a video where he gives the history of Live Oak and boat building. It turns out the the USS Constitution.... Old Ironsides is made of Live Oak. And the reason we seldom see Live Oak in lumber yards is that the damned wood is like cutting steel. It just plays havoc on bandsaw blades.

Here’s a cool video of where Tally Ho is searching out some Live Oak. He finds a lumber yard in the south where the owner has a very interesting bandsaw hacked together with forklifts.
Cutting Live Oak in the Deep South.

Anyway....I need to get to the point and stop my rambling. Bottom line... a branch fell when we had that hurricane a few weeks back. And I had this hammer head missing a handle. So, I made a handle with character. I really like the little knot which my thumb rests above. Keeps the hammer from flying out of hand. And FWIW... I just J B Welded the handle to the head. If it loosens, I’ll put some of those special hammer barbed things, but I doubt I’ll need that.

Attachments

• EE34E47A-40A5-4936-A3E3-DF0AB32753A0.jpeg
    EE34E47A-40A5-4936-A3E3-DF0AB32753A0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
  • 1DF07AED-867E-466C-A9F5-51464AA35C6E.jpeg
    1DF07AED-867E-466C-A9F5-51464AA35C6E.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 57
  • CDD38BEF-F808-4112-895C-BA90AF9888DD.jpeg
    CDD38BEF-F808-4112-895C-BA90AF9888DD.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
So we have a 70 year old Live Oak Tree in front of my house that my dad had built in 1952. It’s a huge oak tree. And I always wondered about how good of a wood live oak would be for woodworking. Every time a big branch breaks or we need to get it ”pruned” , I would wonder whether or not it was as good as White Oak or Red Oak. Anyway, I was watching “ Sampson Boat” on YouTube and he’s restoring a 100 year old sail boat. Fantastic Chanel by the way. In one video, he’s getting these huge bronze braces which supports the keel.
But to the point. He’s got a video where he gives the history of Live Oak and boat building. It turns out the the USS Constitution.... Old Ironsides is made of Live Oak. And the reason we seldom see Live Oak in lumber yards is that the damned wood is like cutting steel. It just plays havoc on bandsaw blades.

Here’s a cool video of where Tally Ho is searching out some Live Oak. He finds a lumber yard in the south where the owner has a very interesting bandsaw hacked together with forklifts.
Cutting Live Oak in the Deep South.

Anyway....I need to get to the point and stop my rambling. Bottom line... a branch fell when we had that hurricane a few weeks back. And I had this hammer head missing a handle. So, I made a handle with character. I really like the little knot which my thumb rests above. Keeps the hammer from flying out of hand. And FWIW... I just J B Welded the handle to the head. If it loosens, I’ll put some of those special hammer barbed things, but I doubt I’ll need that.

How about that!
Instant patina!!

Hi guys, It's been a while since I have posted anything. I thought this would be interesting, and a bit devious.

My wife raises chickens and ducks, well guess what, you have plenty of water and food, you get rats. I am really getting tired of taking the time to bait and set traps and only occasionally catching one of these little bastards. I've mostly been feeding them delicious peanut butter.

Now I know why you can't buy anything like this in a store. These are extremely dangerous.
View attachment 343800
Get a cat! Safer, automated.

fixed up a combimike I bought recently where the mm part wouldn't stay adjusted, it would drift over use. Tore it apart and it looks like a previous owner had smooshed the top off the key that rides in the channel on the side of the spindle. As that drives the collar that holds the gear that drives the mm tumblers (!!), the whole mm thing didn't work properly. I couldn't safely hold the screw that had the key in it (it was about 1.5mm in diameter) so I gave it a stern talking to and screwed it back in. Seems to work ok and the calibration is holding at both ends of the range. Waiting for the loctite on the barrel to set before adjusting the inch part.

that's an 8-32 screw in the pic! The keyed screw is the one at the top left.
IMG_9992.JPG
IMG_9993.JPG

Back