2020 POTD Thread Archive

You are right!
The wife set up bait boxes that only the rats and mice could get in. All of my test subjects are gone now.
These things are really dangerous.
So back to your OP. You said you can't buy them. Does that mean you made/ modified them?
Aaron

So back to your OP. You said you can't buy them. Does that mean you made/ modified them?
Aaron
Yes, I welded very sharp jaws on the swing arm to cut into and grasp the rat. They were snapping the traps and getting a free meal.

The Takisawa lathe came with an Aloris QCTP, but there was a 1 1/8” nut on the tool post bolt. Every time i wanted to rotate the QCTP i had to get a wrench...finally i hung a surplus wrench on the splash shield. That was OK but not very convenient. So today I made a new cap nut, internally threaded 3/4-16, a lever threaded 1/2-13 on both ends and a goofy knob.

I single point threaded the nut, thought about making it blind to look better with a clean top, but hey, this is just a hobby and a blind internal thread in a 3/4” hole seemed like not much fun. Next time, maybe. So i made it a through hole and to improve appearance a bit, I pressed a white Delrin cap on, and made the goofy knob of the same stuff.

I threaded both ends of the lever using my Geometric die, almost the first real use. I got it set up, brought the die up with the tailstock, it grabbed and instantly, BANG there was a puff of smoke and the die released. I thought I had really messed up, but when I pulled the die back, there was a perfect thread on the lever. I love this Geometric die, and have acquired a number of chasers for it.

I can go back to the nut and wrench any time if this does not give the leverage I need, but it seems good so far.

A ball turner might be on the project list in the future. Esthetics matter. :)

183F20AB-DD96-4C3B-BE0E-DFB24767AFAB.jpeg

Tonight's project took a few months to compete between designing, stock acquisition, machining, etc. It is done. I completed a stand for my 2 ton arbor press. The top is 1" 6061 plate. The substructure is 1"X1.5" and 1.5"X2" steel. The rest is 1/4" 6061.

IMG_5685_2.jpg

I did a test part using my new keyway broaches. Bored a piece of aluminum to 1.0028 to use the 1" bushing & C 1/4" broach. Used my 20 ton hydraulic/bottle jack press. With only a 6" stroke it required a 6" spacer that I made from the sprue of a casting. It took two passes, stepping over with a shim. The press is slow. Need to convert it to pneumatic operation. The result was excellent. A piece of 1/4" key stock was a perfect fit.

Well if is not one thing then it's another, my daily driver seems to have a faulty thermostat, it's not keeping any heat in it, it is a mechanical diesel so no computer to throw codes but i have no heat or demister on the windscreen. So last few days i've been taking the 607 to work and the 605 is been sitting home. after 2 days i finally found i bought a thermostat and try throwing it at the engine, it would not go in, so i bought me new coolant and i'll do the job properly, unfortunately the french had put the thermostat on the water pump at the bottom of the engine in the rear, but the inspection pit should come in handy. I'll flash the system also and let's see how many coolant showers i'll have, haha.
IMG_20201204_161331.jpgIMG_20201204_162131.jpgIMG_20201204_163029.jpg

Back