Yuasa Rotary table - rusty

Came out great. I paid almost three times that for my 8" Phase II, and while it does what I need, it is nowhere near the same level of quality as yours. Cheers, Mike

That's turned out even better than I thought it would! Fantastic find. Much fun to be had using it now :D

I've used Evaporust on lots of tools I've bought at auctions. That stuff will work miracles sometimes.

I'm glad the rotary table cleaned up that well for you. You got a heck of a deal there.

And it's done, turning out far better than I ever expected, and yes, silky smooth operation. A big thanks to everyone with the very helpful posts!

If there's something more to be done, it's to make locating feet for it to match the mill table slots, which are different in width (10mm vs 14mm off the top of my head).

Thanks again, guys.

1616463122793.png

Last edited:
Having never used Evapo-Rust, I have to say that I'm very impressed. The table top turned out perfectly usable, and the graduations on the side turned out even better. Next up, reassembly.

View attachment 360242

View attachment 360241

A couple people asked what else I got with it. It's these two things, which appear to be bases for a rotating vice maybe. Both have graduations on them, and while I have no use for them now, I suspect they could be very useful down the road.

View attachment 360243
May be you should go back and ask the seller if she still has the vice that goes with the blue base. If she has it might be good quality as well and might be worth buying for a fair price. (if its for sale of course)

Great results! Usually with marine salvage they use electrolysis, but the evaporust seems to have done well.

I have a 6" Yuasa rotary table which was good until the worm wheel gear lost some teeth. The material is soft and crumbles easily (see photo). Not recommended for milling a curved surface under any heavy load. Spare gears were not available.
Paul

Attachments

• 04 Worm gear.jpg
    04 Worm gear.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
I have a 6" Yuasa rotary table which was good until the worm wheel gear lost some teeth.

I have to wonder if the cam that controls the worm depth was set wrong during that cut.
If the worm and wheel were just barely in contact I could see that happening.

I wonder if it could be repaired by brazing those teeth and re-gashing. ........for regular duty use anyway; the braze material will also be somewhat soft. A Yuasa is worth a try!

-brino

wonder if it could be repaired by brazing those teeth and re-gashing. ........for regular duty use anyway; the braze material will also be somewhat soft. A Yuasa is worth a try!
It's something I'd try, for sure. Get some silicone bronze on there, gash and free hobb on the lathe. Agreed it looks like the depthing was not right!

Not sure what the gear is made from but not steel, more like die casting material. Brazing material would be stronger. The Yuasa RT has been made to good standards but it is an economy model, no main bearing just a bush for the table.
When I contacted Yuasa in Japan about 6 years ago, they told me that the RT was a superceded model and they did not have spare parts and suggested I try their office in USA. (I live in Australia). They said that they had one in stock which cost me about $90 for the gear and postage.
Paid for it and after a month nothing delivered. Contacted them again and was told that the item had been processed but lost somewhere in their postage system and that they would send a replacement. Then I was told that there was no spare parts in stock.
I asked for a refund but no reply. Only after threatening to take legal action and broadcast on the internet was my money returned.
Since then I have purchased another RT and use the old Yuasa as a turntable with no gear drive.
Paul

Back