Yuasa Rotary table - rusty

kb58

Registered
Registered
Model number is 550-046.

Do you guys think that this is worth $100? The rust looks fairly significant and I don't have much experience with how well that much could be removed, or its importance to proper operation. Can't tell whether the damage goes deeper without it in-hand.

1616013963013.png

Agreed. I don't have RT capabilities and that would clean up OK. Kiss it on a surface grinder or scrape it with the end of a file and surface plate if needed to get under the rust.

Only real worry would be if the worm itself was rusted, in which case it will eat the worm gear quickly.

Put the rusty bits in vinegar for a day or two if needed and then access the damage. I would take it if I were you. You can always ask someone around of they have a surface grinder to help if needed. Look at it this way,right now you DON'T have one. If I convert $100 to SA worthless rand,it is still a bargain. Go for it.

100% would buy. Based on what I can see of from the other parts: I'd think that the table only rusted vs. internals.

That is a brand new 6" Yuasa rotary table for $100! Grab it before he comes to his senses.

If I were you, I would grab it, take it apart, put all the non-painted parts in an electrolytic bath and get the rust off. The surface will be pitted and cannot be helped but when it comes out of the bath it will be free of rust. Hit it with some Dawn and a maroon scotchbrite pad to get the black residue off, then use extra-fine gray scotchbrite to shine it up.

The table will still be as accurate as it was when it left the factory; no need to surface grind it unless you're looking to uber-accurize it, in which case you have to also scrape the mounting surfaces square and flat. Just as it comes from the factory, this table is very, very good.

I own this table and it is as smooth as silk. Almost no backlash and it is accurate. Yuasa made some of the finest tools and this one cost over $1200 when new. The internals should still be unused and is well worth the money.

Back