Yuasa Rotary table - rusty

So I disassembled it as far as I can, leaving only the table in-place. Even with the worm gear shaft removed (which is in great condition), the table itself is still frozen in place.

My question: How do I remove the table? It looks like there are two pressed-in sections in the center hole, a short section toward the bottom and a longer slender section toward the top. I don't want to start applying a lot of force to it until I know the right way to get it apart.

Table top side:

1616191047298.png

Back side / bottom:

1616193380713.png

On the subject of the rust, I have the Evapo-Rust on the way and hope that it can save this:

1616193640875.png

So I disassembled it as far as I can, leaving only the table in-place. Even with the worm gear shaft removed (which is in great condition), the table itself is still frozen in place.

My question: How do I remove the table? It looks like there are two pressed-in sections in the center hole, a short section toward the bottom and a longer slender section toward the top. I don't want to start applying a lot of force to it until I know the right way to get it apart.

Table top side:

View attachment 359759

Back side / bottom:

View attachment 359766

On the subject of the rust, I have the Evapo-Rust on the way and hope that it can save this:

View attachment 359767
Does this mean you bought it?
If you paid $100 ---wait for it-----You Suck

Stefan Gotteswinter takes his apart during his "upgrade" of it. Looks similar to yours.

Around the 7:45s mark.

Looks like it should slip apart, from where you have it now. Might be worth dropping the whole thing in evaporust or soaking the frozen spindle in penetrating oil to loosen it up.

If you have access to a big ultrasonic cleaner with evaporust, that could be a way to go.

Stefan Gotteswinter takes his apart during his "upgrade" of it. Looks similar to yours.

Around the 7:45s mark.

Looks like it should slip apart, from where you have it now. Might be worth dropping the whole thing in evaporust or soaking the frozen spindle in penetrating oil to loosen it up.

If you have access to a big ultrasonic cleaner with evaporust, that could be a way to go.
Thanks for that video. Even though it's about a Vertex, it's very similar to the Yuasa from what I can see. I'll put some penetrating oil on the center column, now that I know that it's supposed to simply lift out from the top.

Last edited:
You definitely SUCK! Even in it's current condition it is worth at least twice what you paid. It will be a fine piece once you've finished.

Yes, once the worm shaft and collar assembly is out, you should just be able to lift the table off the body. Penetrating oil and a few taps with a dead blow should get it off.

Ah, now I understand... and it's apart.

For anyone else with this Yuasa table, the trick is knowing that the table shaft is tapered. Tighten the bottom plate enough and it jams up solid like a Morse taper. I'm a little surprised, a tapered bore being used as a (non-ball) bearing. On the other hand, unlike the Vertex brand, it's absolutely guarantees that there won't be any looseness of fit.

The overly tight fit aside (I know now not to over-tighten the bottom retention plate), the bore and gear are in excellent condition. Things are looking good. All that's left is de-rusting it and reassembly.

And as far as me sucking goes (I know it's in jest), I'm always seeing others walk off with the deals. This one only worked out because I had a Craigslist filter for "rotary table" running for about six months. Also, because I'm working from home, unlike usual, I could instantly take some time off and go check it out, midday during work week, so I could get there before the "weekend warriors". Lastly, the seller was selling off her dad's stuff, as he'd recently passed away. That always hits me because I've gone through the same thing myself. In this case, I paid the asking price, though being unsure at the time whether I was getting a deal or a boat anchor (due to the jammed table).

1616263849957.png

1616263900460.png

Last edited:
Back