You know you are a Hobby-Machinist when....

You know you are a Hobby-Machinist when from the fruit trees of your garden don't bear just fruit…

tree.jpg

(BTW, this is a mandarin tree, so the color of the primer almost fits)

tree.jpg

Every time you see a broken part you think to yourself, I have a machine that can make that.

When your out for a drive with your very kind, generous and tolerant wife and you stop at a tool place, and because she know without a doubt your coming back out that door with something, she's just not sure how big it will be, she asks "what are you getting here today" "what tool do you need" and you answer very honestly and sincerely "I have know idea but I'll know when I see it"

....when you make multiples of tools you already have because its just plain fun, even though your putting off important projects. Like....umm.....organizing the shop :))

When your out for a drive with your very kind, generous and tolerant wife and you stop at a tool place, and because she know without a doubt your coming back out that door with something, she's just not sure how big it will be, she asks "what are you getting here today" "what tool do you need" and you answer very honestly and sincerely "I have know idea but I'll know when I see it"

Of course you spend more time in the tool place than the wife visiting a dozen of shoe shops…

Going to the dump means an opportunity to bring something home cos it may come in useful one day.
Ozwelder

When you see a poster at work announcing the arrival of a 5S system and your first thought is: "Whooo, better dumpster diving :)"

You subscribe to the Little Machine Shop weekly email and order something on sale that you already bought on sale before but forgot about it. (they are good about returns)

You pay $13 shipping on a $4 item.

You own complete sets of fractional, number and letter size drills but still root through the box of old drills so you don't wear the new ones out.

You own complete sets of taps and dies covering everything from watches to locomotives but really never use anything but 1/4-20 or 5/16-18.

You time your on-line tooling and gizmo purchasing/shipments to arrive on the days your wife works till 6.

McMaster-Carr is the home page on your computer.

Back