You know you are a Hobby-Machinist when....

You know you are a noob Hobby-Machinist when you try to arrange your project list so that you make some improvements on your mill, so you can make some improvements on your lathe, so you can make some more improvements on your mill, so you can make some more improvements on your lathe...

That's me, except that my mill is a drill press that hasn't quite finished turning into a mill.

...it's 98 degrees outside, and you're in a steaming hot basement giving herself a third hernia lifting a milling table into position to get it on the knee of an 1800 pound mill that you slid down your basement steps.... :nuts:

What about YOU? How do YOU know you are a Hobby-Machinist?

:tiphat:Nelson
When you drive from one pawnshop to the next one looking through their tool section. You would be surprised how many lathe and milling cutters are lying in pawnshops.
Willy

When you drive from one pawnshop to the next one looking through their tool section. You would be surprised how many lathe and milling cutters are lying in pawnshops.
Willy

I went to a pawnshop a few days ago. The only tool they had was a ravioli machine :(
But… you know you are a Hobby-Machinist when you tell the clerk at the hardware shop in which aisle he can find everything.

Uncle Harry here: You know you are a hobby machinist when because you have 2 shops you need nearly 2 of full R8 collet sets, 2 collections of drill indexes, 2 compressed air systems, 2 cordless drills etc. & you need to cross everything you have 2 of to remember where they are ! Luckily the buildings are 10 feet apart.

Lucky you! My two shops are ~1200-1600 miles apart (depending on the route I take).

You know you are a noob Hobby-Machinist when you try to arrange your project list so that you make some improvements on your mill, so you can make some improvements on your lathe, so you can make some more improvements on your mill, so you can make some more improvements on your lathe...

Funny, been there many times myself, even if I'm not in my shop the improvements continue in my head.:))

You chase people down when you see old machine tools on their trailer going to the junk yard or when parked anywhere asking what they are going to do with them and how much they would sell them for. :roflmao:

Funny, been there many times myself, even if I'm not in my shop the improvements continue in my head.:))

You too have a double screen computer, with Tubalcain videos on a screen, the H-M activity page on the other and often some eBay tool auctions in the middle?
:roflmao:

You too have a double screen computer, with Tubalcain videos on a screen, the H-M activity page on the other and often some eBay tool auctions in the middle?

That's so funny you should say that, no double screen but CNC monitor and reference laptop.

IMG_00001088.jpg

IMG_00001088.jpg

That's so funny you should say that, no double screen but CNC monitor and reference laptop.

How many times you tried to move the cursor from a screen to the other? :lmao:
Be careful, multi-screen computers are highly addictive!

scrn2.jpg

(screenshot - actual width is 3200 pixels on 82 cm - and yes, I use Linux)

scrn2.jpg

Last edited:
How many times you tried to move the cursor from a screen to the other? :lmao:
Be careful, multi-screen computers are highly addictive!

Yes I do grab the wrong mouse every now and then, it can be costly having a device right beside you as your machining that's so easy to make purchases on, I've forced myself now to at least go and make a cup of tea and take some time to think " Do I really need this " or is it just a new shiny toy to fondle for a few days then stuff in a draw and not see again for 6 years.:))

Back