You know you are a Hobby-Machinist when....

When you are in a "Cracker Barrel" restaurant looking at all the antique tools hanging from the ceiling and fastened to the wall, and tell your wife, "yep, I have one of those and two of those -- and I still use mine!"

You know you are a Hobby-Machinist when.... you read Uncle Harry's post and immediately believe he has the answer to all your problems; Hey, I _need_ TWO shops!

Uncle Harry here: You know you are a hobby machinist when because you have 2 shops you need nearly 2 of full R8 collet sets, 2 collections of drill indexes, 2 compressed air systems, 2 cordless drills etc. & you need to cross everything you have 2 of to remember where they are ! Luckily the buildings are 10 feet apart.

You know when your a machinist when... You go out to dinner and your hands have Dykem Blue all on your hands, and in my case, also overspray on my toes.

You know when you a machinist when... You have 5 trash cans - one is dedicated for aluminum and one is for steel swarf.

You know when your a machinist when... 5/8 of your electric bill is because of the shop machines and lighting.

You know when your a machinist when... You and your UPS driver are on a first name basis.

You know when your a machinist when... You have a two-way radio to the kitchen so you know when dinner is ready.

You know when your a machinist when... Your wife has designated a "no chip zone" and you have a mat for "leaving" the shop as well as mats for entering the house.

You know your a Hobby Machinist when you read all the other posts on here and don't find any of them as being "odd".
When the greatest thing you did all last summer was bringing home a trailer load of equipment and saying to yourself in the driveway "where am I going to put this to keep it out of the rain ".

- - - Updated - - -

Also when the Mail lady constantly complains "your packages are always so HEAVY".

When you show up to pick up one old lathe and you leave with two and you get home to find out the smaller one won't fit much less the bigger one or both.

You know your a HOBBY machinist when you make something and you cringe when people tell you that you should make them and sell them. The thought of doing production work is just not in the equation.

When ypu go to the dentist for a cleaning, and your focused on the knureling on the hygenist's picks!

Sent from my H866C

you know your hobby machinist when you look up cast iron prices to remake EVERY piece on your mini lathe.

you know your a hobby machinist when you try to turn 7" diameter work on a mini lathe!

when you modify your mini lathe to such an extent to take 1/4" DOC

when you spend more time and money modifying a mini lathe to hold bigger stuff than it would have cost to buy a bigger machine.

when you start equipping mini machines with flood coolant even though it only has to dissipate 3/4 hp.

When you buy a 6" milling vice that weighs about 100lb, is 27" long and you've got a benchtop mill with a 5x19 table.

IMG_00000113.jpg But I only paid $30 for it.

When you buy a 12" rotary table and you only have a bechtop mill with a 5x19 table.

IMG_20140308_132837.jpg But I only paid $50 for it.

You know you are a Hobby-Machinist when.... you spend every spare moment looking for kijiji/craigslist/garagesale items for your shop at steal prices.

IMG_00000113.jpg IMG_20140308_132837.jpg

When you bring home a long-sought piece of old american machinery with the intent of fixing it up and getting it running again, and are pleased as punch about it even though the wife says 'I don't know why you are so happy, if it doesn't even work'.

Back