What size dovetail cutter? Mitutoyo test indicator

Okay, "Cherry Red" is the salt mix that is available today for your searches. It's on eBay and Amazon, there are reviews with pictures, and there are project logs on the web using it. People who report mixed results are probably mixing their methods, as there are many ways to skin the cat, including following the directions on the label.
Thank you,
I’m on it.

This is fun! I am very interested in your progress. I have a few back burner ideas for color case. For as much Oxpho Blue as I use, I would like another fun method to add color and protection to some parts.

Watching with interest. I have color cased only one time. Charcoal, bone, leather, and mesquite (mostly because it smelled good for a few minutes). Real pain. Need you to make this easy for me Jeff.

Watching with interest. I have color cased only one time. Charcoal, bone, leather, and mesquite (mostly because it smelled good for a few minutes). Real pain. Need you to make this easy for me Jeff.
I’ll try my best.
Todays progress. I made a few changes so the indicator fits better.

Attachments

• 9BCAE371-ED60-420F-9514-C527274E1561.jpeg
    9BCAE371-ED60-420F-9514-C527274E1561.jpeg
    603.2 KB · Views: 16
  • B3F85446-CE1C-4F15-9C3F-9F09A0BDB252.jpeg
    B3F85446-CE1C-4F15-9C3F-9F09A0BDB252.jpeg
    541.9 KB · Views: 16
  • BBC18D82-C4DF-43C1-8CB6-AF128CB00EFB.jpeg
    BBC18D82-C4DF-43C1-8CB6-AF128CB00EFB.jpeg
    810.8 KB · Views: 17
Have to say, you are getting good at making these. Looks pretty good.

These look great raw, can’t wait to see them with a little color on them.

An observation from an idiot (me) so it’s worth a tenth what you paid for it.

In the fractured part I think I see 3 cracks. All coming from the thinnest areas of material. Did those areas get too hot or cool too quickly? Either way, I am wondering if material could be accompanied somehow in those areas to promote uniform heating and cooling. I don’t know if I would put any material in the hole fearing it might get stuck. Maybe adding some appropriate diameter material to the outer contours in that area? Like material that would slow the temperature change during both heating and cooling.

I don’t know if this is what happened on your first attempt, pure speculation on my part.

These look great raw, can’t wait to see them with a little color on them.

An observation from an idiot (me) so it’s worth a tenth what you paid for it.

In the fractured part I think I see 3 cracks. All coming from the thinnest areas of material. Did those areas get too hot or cool too quickly? Either way, I am wondering if material could be accompanied somehow in those areas to promote uniform heating and cooling. I don’t know if I would put any material in the hole fearing it might get stuck. Maybe adding some appropriate diameter material to the outer contours in that area? Like material that would slow the temperature change during both heating and cooling.

I don’t know if this is what happened on your first attempt, pure speculation on my part.
Long story made short.
I used a plastic bucket with oil in it, I accidentally dropped the hot steel so the bottom quickly melted. (Oh boy, what a mess)
I said to myself, Ok Einstein, what now?
I put the pieces in our landscaping water feature=stupid is as stupid does :)

Considering this part has 3/4” depth with .090” wings, I would say cracking would be a big concern.

Looking into alternate methods.

I recall you mentioning the plastic bucket. Looking forward to seeing your results and updates on your process. I will go ahead and scratch plastic bucket off my list of available tools for this project based on you experience...................

I will go ahead and scratch plastic bucket off my list of available tools for this project based on you experience...................
I keep small batches of quench oil in steel paint cans. These can be purchased from the paint stores for a few dollars. The big thing is they have a cover that seals up well.

I also keep one full of paint thinner. It occasionally gets used for rinsing off parts that are doused in cutting oil. Same deal, sturdy pail and good seal.

Just don't mix up the quench oil pail and the paint thinner pail when quenching parts!

This is fun! I am very interested in your progress. I have a few back burner ideas for color case. For as much Oxpho Blue as I use, I would like another fun method to add color and protection to some parts.
I read this about the Cherry red on McMaster's site.

""Create a hard, wear-resistant surface on carbon steel parts. Sprinkle compound over a heated part, heat again, and cool in quenching fluid""
I'm very concerned about quenching.

I haven't had a chance to look up the colored?rainbow surface process yet but I am planning on doing some research.
I'm taking this very slowly..

Back