What size dovetail cutter? Mitutoyo test indicator

I should have added...

You could make the screw from mild steel, and weld that button on the end but then grind the button diameter to just under the thread root diameter. Then turn the thread. With mild steel, it won't harden. Unless you case harden it by adding carbon to the steel...

It sounds like you're using a lot of high alloy steels here. Unless you need that hardness, it might be adding to your troubles.

There's a lot of ways to skin this cat, mild steel case hardened. Air cooled tool steels air quenched, medium carbon steels that give some hardness but are still tough. Or even heat treated steels that you machine post heat treat.

Unfortunately, you're somehow finding all the pitfalls in one project. I officially state, that you actually have worse luck than I do!

I should have added...

You could make the screw from mild steel, and weld that button on the end but then grind the button diameter to just under the thread root diameter. Then turn the thread. With mild steel, it won't harden. Unless you case harden it by adding carbon to the steel...

It sounds like you're using a lot of high alloy steels here. Unless you need that hardness, it might be adding to your troubles.

There's a lot of ways to skin this cat, mild steel case hardened. Air cooled tool steels air quenched, medium carbon steels that give some hardness but are still tough. Or even heat treated steels that you machine post heat treat.

Unfortunately, you're somehow finding all the pitfalls in one project. I officially state, that you actually have worse luck than I do!
Yeah, I really did screw the pooch on this one.
I haven’t made the base yet and I have some Cherry Red ordered.
I think this calls for low carbon steel!

My learning difficulties begin when I get out of bed in the morning:)

I know this hardening effort is for learning, but even unhardened, you are never in your hobby lifetime going to create measurable wear on such a device.

I know this hardening effort is for learning, but even unhardened, you are never in your hobby lifetime going to create measurable wear on such a device.
I don’t look at it that way.
I try to approach projects like this as a unique learning opportunity.
The original post was how to measure and cut a dovetail. After many attempts I learned how to do it (see pic)
The rest of the project I was able to screw up and remake some of the components.
This entire heat treating fiasco was to learn how to do it.

When I consider where I was when I joined this forum compared to now, I’ve pulled off my training wheels and made some pretty cool stuff along the way. Thanks to you guys!!!

Attachments

• 18178A11-73A1-469B-B03A-7B1E1F2D4636.jpeg
    18178A11-73A1-469B-B03A-7B1E1F2D4636.jpeg
    432.5 KB · Views: 19
When I consider where I was when I joined this forum compared to now, I’ve pulled off my training wheels and made some pretty cool stuff along the way. Thanks to you guys!!!
The range of knowledge and expertise here is truly impressive. I’m happy to be a lifetime member…sure hope I hang around for awhile to get my money’s worth!

I try to approach projects like this as a unique learning opportunity.
This entire heat treating fiasco was to learn how to do it.
It certainly is worth learning something new with every project. It's' really the thing that drives my choice of projects at home too.

I'm not sure if you've looked at them, but steel manufacturers produce datasheets for their steels. Those generally contain heat treat, tempering, and annealing details. Usually other details that might be of interest too.

Heat treating isn't rocket science, and once you learn the fundamentals it can be pretty intuitive. A big part of this is knowing which steels to use where and why. It's a bigger deal than actually heat treating any given steel. That is, you need to know what you want to bake before you bake it.

(Maybe you know the following already...If so, sorry...) 150 years ago steels were pretty simple. About the only thing different between them all was the amount of carbon in the steel. More carbon = harder steel. Mild steel like 1018 has 0.18% carbon. It really won't do much if anything when heat treated. 1045 has 0.45% carbon and will harden and get pretty tough when hardened. 1095 has 0.95% carbon, and will be hard like glass when hardened (Unless you have too much carbon 2-3%, then it becomes cast iron and is completely different!). Straight carbon steel needs to cool really fast to harden. That's why it's quenched in cold water or cold brine. Once hardened you may need to temper the steel, that is you 'draw back' some of the hardness. The temper you need depends on your steel and where you use it. 1095 full hard is brittle but wear resistant. Tempered to a blue or blue gray color, it's no longer brittle and becomes a spring. A light temper to straw or yellow (In between hard and spring) and it's a knife blade. (Ever wonder why spring steel stock is blue in color?)

As you have probably noted, you can cool a steel too fast. Quenching A2 in water for example is usually not a good idea. Quenching straight 1095 in air probably won't fully harden it, or might not harden it at all. The size, or cross section of the steel comes into play too. Big blocks of steel are hard to cool fully and evenly. Remember that most things get bigger as you heat them up. Try to imagine a big block where the outside gets cooled to 125F and the inside is still 1500F, you can just imagine the outside trying to shrink around the still hot (and large) inside. If that's a brittle steel, you can see how it will want to crack! (A2 will quench properly much more slowly, so bigger chunks can still be cooled and hardened.)

Things get more complex when you add alloys like Chrome, Moly, Vanadium, etc. In different amounts these alloys improve the properties for certain aspects of the steel. Some give it high temp hardness, or toughness, or corrosion resistance, or wear resistance. Usually adding these alloys allows slowing down the required quench speed. The A, or W, or O designations are certain 'classes' of steel, and give a rough indication how fast the steel needs to be cooled to harden. A = Air (slow), W = Water (fast), O = Oil (medium). For the properties of each, you'll want to look up the datasheet. They can vary widely, and can even vary widely over tempering temperature used.

For other designations of steels, they are optimized for certain applications also. S7, S5 are shock resistant steels, used where there may be impact loads (like a punch or similar). 300 series are very stainless (304, 308, 316, 321) but they can't be hardened (austenitic). 400 series are also stainless, and are heat treatable (Martensitic, 416, 420, 440 etc).

Again, the heat treatment part is usually pretty simple. The bigger challenge may be the choice of steel. I think you won't go wrong playing with case hardening mild steel. At the very least, mild steel is much cheaper to play with.

I’m back at the squareness comparator.
I found a simple solution to cleaning up a radius. I used a fly cutter. Darn things are versatile as heck.
I‘m remaking two of the parts.
The base is low carbon. I’m going to try my hand at case hardening it. Boy, low carbon sure is easy to work with!
I watched a Larry Potter video this morning (Midway USA) Larry uses 25% bone and 75% wood charcoal. I’m gonna try color case hardening.
The last pics show I’m not dine yet. I just need to SG the front piece, it’s already hardened. I think I’ll blue the dial indicator holder and it’s support.
The first frame is a 20 second video.

Attachments

• IMG_0254.MOV
    12.1 MB
  • 6FA203F8-E802-4B1D-98A2-B0B22B595CA9.jpeg
    6FA203F8-E802-4B1D-98A2-B0B22B595CA9.jpeg
    442.7 KB · Views: 24
  • EE2608E3-1DA8-416C-94BC-C155E00FB62B.jpeg
    EE2608E3-1DA8-416C-94BC-C155E00FB62B.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 22
  • B50FA953-F9A2-458F-933A-44C7D362B4A5.jpeg
    B50FA953-F9A2-458F-933A-44C7D362B4A5.jpeg