What Do You Cover Your Machines With?

I always save heavy plastic wrappings, especially from mattresses, etc. I cut them for an easy cover and use them or any other plastic covers that will fit. I don't like oil impregnated cloth due to the fire danger. I keep my machines well oiled. I use a dehumidifier in my Virginia shop. It keeps things nice and dry. There are many options open to you, pick the one that you are most comfortable with. Mike

I worried about condensation under the plastic, so I use 8X12 painters canvas drop cloths.
They work well to keep the wood/welding/grinding debris off the machines.
They store in the base of the lathe or mill.

I worried about condensation under the plastic, so I use 8X12 painters canvas drop cloths.
They work well to keep the wood/welding/grinding debris off the machines.
They store in the base of the lathe or mill.
Hi Jim,
I have never had a problem with condensation under the plastic. Perhaps it's due to the dehumidifier? The plastic is easy to get off and to store. Painter's Canvas is a great choice but collects dust and can be cumbersome and heavy at times. It's a great alternative though.
Mike

Mike
That is likely it. My shop is in the garage and not humidity controlled. Winter time up here is fine with the cold outside and natural gas heat inside.
Summer time is the issue. You're right on the canvas being heavier and bulky but they do fit in the bottom drawer of the base so their not too much of an issue.
Jim

Hi. My shop suffers from temperature swings. I find the best covering is several layers of oily sacking. This works well to stop corrosion ang keep muck off. I find that canvas covers lead to corrosion as they do not breath. (Plastic is awful)
Old cotton sheeting well sprayed with WD40 also work OK but the sacking is better

When I was young(er), about <mumble-mumble> years ago, I worked at a dinner theater. Once the tablecloths got too worn for the public, I would snatch a few for machine covers. Much heavier than bedsheets, but really soft from repeated washing.

Back