What Do You Cover Your Machines With?

Dan_S

Active User
Registered
Now that my mill is set up, I need to figure out what to cover it with when not in use.

My shop is multi purpose, I do metalworking and wood working, and some welding as well. Thus I've always protect my metalworking machines from the sawdust by covering them. In the right of the photo below, you can see the canvas cover I made for my lathe a decade ago.
67020-cf7bba5244a0f00e0ce5a0f489f1bf62.jpg

My new mill is a lot bigger, and thus require a lot larger cover. Frankly buying $200 - 300 worth of canvas isn't overly appealing right now, not to mention i don't have access to a powerful enough sewing work it if i wanted to.

Thus I'm looking for some opinions & ideas. Do you cover your machines, if so with what?

67020-cf7bba5244a0f00e0ce5a0f489f1bf62.jpg

I think canvas would be the best way to go. I don't think you need to spend that much either, a canvas painters drop cloth would do and a decent quality one costs less than $50.

I'm new to this but I have the same problem. I purchased some "Factory Second" canvas from these guys: http://www.bigduckcanvas.com/categories/discounted-fabrics-overstock-factory-seconds.html So far I have made one cover for my metal shaper. I still have a few more to make. Although I do have access to a heavy duty sewing machine I think any decent sewing machine could handle making a simple cover since you will only be sewing through 2 layers of fabric unless you want to get all fancy with zippers and stuff. I purchased 20 yards of 12oz cotton canvas, it was about $125 including shipping and is more than enough to cover my SB shaper, Logan lathe and Atlas mill with plenty more left over to make some tool rolls and pouches.

My shop in Oregon suffers from weather changes ... a few very cold days, followed by a warm and humid day, causes condensation on all exposed metal.

To protect the surfaces, I use old towels and t-shirts, soaked in way oil. For the lathe chuck, I use a canvas tote bag, again soaked in oil, and gathered together on the back side of the chuck. For drill press and tailstock chucks, I use old socks.

On a serious note. At the end of summer. Wal-Mart has some nice patio furniture covers on sale that make pretty good machine covers.

Back