What Do You Cover Your Machines With?

Chips and Oil.....actually I saved some Gray plastic covered canvas boat engine and deck covers many years ago and they are awesome and bullet proof as far as holding up ........one has covered my table saw outside my shop for years and the saw is fine .....I wish I could find more ....

One that I have and have seen is use old denim and make almost like a quilt to cover them, It can still breath, but will keep the dirt, and chips etc off and some of the other dust, You could even put a draw rope or something to close it is around the bottom. Also if it gets a little oil and grease on it will not hurt it. It is a good use for old pants that people normally just toss. and many people will just give the old ones to you.

I just dealt with this issue yesterday. I just asked the wife (like the guy from the micro machines toys ads if that helps) " wheredoyouputthebedsheetsthatyoudontcareabout.ineedsomemachinecovers" wife "what?!" me "...the bed sheets where are they?"... So now when she finds out where all the sheets went I will have a way out.

to keep the rust off of the bare metal I use Johnson's floor wax paste. it's comes in big shoe polish cans for five bucks or so. it's what woodworkers use on their machines as well.

A good way to prevent rust is to run a dehumidifier in your shop. The lower the humidity the lower the dew-point, and as long as your machine is warmer than the dew-point it won't get condensation on it.

My jointer used to rust like crazy until I noticed and where some plywood was stacked on one end, it wasn't rusty under it. I cut some MDF to fit the bed and back fence and rusting is a thing of the past n that machine. It would work on any unprotected flat surfaces, I would speculate.
Brooks Ravenscroft (Brav65) recently posted a great idea along this vein.
Way Cover/t-slot Cover
Discussion in 'MACHINE ACCESSORIES' started by brav65, Jul 23, 2015.

He found some magnetic heater vent covers at Home Depot, which are easy to cut to size, lay down dead flat on clean iron surfaces, and will definitely help protect the surface. He said they were about $4 for the 3-pack. I recently saw a similar product at Lowes for about $5.

Cross reference ... Some of the same ideas we're discussing here were touched upon in "Protecting Infrequently Used Tools from Rusting" ...
Discussion in 'QUESTIONS & ANSWERS (Get Help Fast Here!)' started by compact8, May 17, 2015.

I went with a 9'x15' painters tarp from Home Depot, and two 36" bunchy cords. All in it was $40, the only drawback is it freaks the dogs out. :grin:

67133-30d4443fb6f3274ea5b2b2726b0d8972.jpg

67133-30d4443fb6f3274ea5b2b2726b0d8972.jpg

I used to have the used nylon canopy off a broken framed gazebo to make covers for things
I got it off the local freecycle website including the damaged paper thin metal posts and connectors.

It can be easily sewn up on a domestic sewing machine with a heavy duty needle or three , even when using wrap over " Fell flat " seams that give you three or four thicknesses or more .

When laid it all out on the lounge floor once I'd unpicked all the stitching's then resown it as needed , it was nigh on a 12 foot by 12 foot light weight sheet by the end of the afternoon .

Currently I still have a 6 x 4 section of it that i use to put under the lathe stand to keep chippings & crud out of the materials & useful junk that's stored under it .

It is partially shower proof , stains a bit with oils and hates red hot chippings as they stick to it and some times make tiny holes in it.

The under cover winter heater I've used in the past and also still use for keeping the caravan & log cabin aired/dry all year round is two 7 watt compact fluorescent lamp/bulbs lamps wired in parallel, set in batten holders and mounted on a section of thick timber ..
I use two so that if one dies the other will still provide a light heating effect.

Last edited:
Back