What Do You Cover Your Machines With?

I use old secondhand bedsheets from the local thrift store (they can't throw 'em away fast enough). They cost me anything from fifty cents to nothing each, and I can choose my size according to the machine (FrankenSaw, jointer, planer, lathe, knee mill, etc). I prefer to double the sheet over the machine - that seems to work better than single-layer.

It's not perfect, but it does keep the bulk of the rust down. I may try dipping 'em in oil next time...

When I am going to make a lot of dust, I just use old bed sheets, they are light, they breath.
Mark

For my welders and big stuff, I use Walmart BBQ covers - come in various sizes, breathe ok, and within my budget. Have bread machine cover over my plasma cutter :) Kmart bath SHEET (huge towel) over my lathe ... works pretty well for me so far (3 years) .... and if you poke a hole in it, you don't feel so bad because you did not take a loan out to pay for an "official" cover ... Take care

I know a lot of people have mixed shops (metal and wood), but I cringe at the thought of sawdust sticking all over my metal machines. A cover might slow it down, but fine sawdust just gets into everything. I won't work with wood in my shop at all. Only outdoors... down wind... and a loooong way away from my metal machines. I use compressed air to blow every trace of sawdust down wind before bringing the tool back to the shop. Did I mention that I hate sawdust?

GG

HF has several sizes of tarps from 6' x 6' and up starting around $5.99 and better when they have sales, which are many.

HF has several sizes of tarps from 6' x 6' and up starting around $5.99 and better when they have sales, which are many.
Last Fall I bought some of the HF tarps to cover my fig trees over the winter. What a disaster! While I do find some okay buys at HF, the tarps I got were as thin as toilet paper; they tore and fell apart just about as well. They tear easily but perhaps you happened upon some with a little more substance than I got. Mike

I just picked up a few "Machinery Covers" from McMaster Carr. Very lite cotton nylon blend with magnets in the corners. The were a little expensive but very nice.

Back