• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

What Did You Buy Today?

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

682bear

Bear, I'm guessing u didn't buy them they were free, nice co worker.
No, he wanted $20 for all of them... I didn't try to talk him down...

I missed the weight by a fuzz... I put them on the scale... they came in at 46 pounds...

-Bear

GoceKU

Today i had some work in the area where the scrap yards are located, so i visited one, i was looking for round pieces to turn in the lathe but found only two small pieces, did bought couple of thick square pieces and two old CO2 extinguishers, they are empty, i may change the valve and use them for welding gas or even use the bottle for work piece if i need that size, it all came under 10 euros.
DSC_0004.JPG

GoceKU

Today i visited couple of tool and flea markets, did not found nothing special, bought usual shop supplies, carbide inserts, cutting oil, shop rags and managed to find those, fiat ball joints, OEM brand new, that i need for a future project, experience has taught me if you'll need something in the near future the first opportunity you can buy it is the best time to buy it.
DSC_0010.JPG

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I haven't really studied this, but have found that No. 4, 5 and 6 taps all take the same driver, It is possible that other, larger size taps also come in groups, like maybe 1/4 and 5/16. something to find out about before buying tap driver collets.

TomS

Active User
I haven't really studied this, but have found that No. 4, 5 and 6 taps all take the same driver, It is possible that other, larger size taps also come in groups, like maybe 1/4 and 5/16. something to find out about before buying tap driver collets.
Thanks for the info. Following your lead I went internet hunting and found a tap chart that shows size 0 thru 6 are the same shank size. After that shank diameters are different for each size up to 1/2" which is the max size I plan on using. I need to compare tap shank sizes to ER20 collets to see what makes sense.

Bamban

Active User
Did not buy it, had a few months, finally found someone who is smarter than me to figure how this jewel works, and recondition it. I bought all the parts that were badly worn out: bezel, crystal, arms, dials, the felt, and glue.

The gentleman did not want to be acknowledged publicly by name. He did a great job, it is as good as new. Did not have any pictures prior to rebuilding, but here are some pictures of the internal mechanish when it taken apart

My 1236 had one when I acquired it, got spoiled by it. For what I do I actually prefer this unit over a DRO. It is old school, but very effective amd accurate.

Now, I am torn whether to install it on the Jet 1024 or on the SBL 13.

travadial2.jpg
tad2.jpg
tad1.jpg
20171120_101903.jpg

Last edited:

T Bredehoft

Active User
We used trav-a-dial's during my apprenticeship, in the early 1970s. DROs, while they existed, were not mounted on our machines. One 4 inch spindle Kearney & Trecker horizontal mill had an early DRO, consisting of a myriad tiny glass tubes which lit up to show numbers. All the lathes had Trav-a-dials.

[6]
5 [7]