What Did You Buy Today?

Due to my advancing decrepitude, I find soldering (especially SMD stuff) a pain in the butt. So when I saw this on eBay for buttons, I thought hmmmm. Wonder if that would help. Guess we’ll see. ;)

It’s a PZO MST-130 stereo microscope, with 6.3x objectives. Hopefully it’s optics are ok.

I've been fairly impressed with everything I've gotten from Poland. Especially those wonderful Pierogi's. Please let us know what you think of it. Cheers, Mike

Few more recent pick ups. Bought an iGaging 4" digital calipers off eBay for around $20. This one remembers where it's at if you slide the jaws while the display is turned off.

20190517_133833.jpg20190517_134051.jpg

Also picked up some heel clamps for the mill. Recall paying about $30 for these.

20190520_193210.jpg

Picked up a Thermolyne model FA1730 heat treat furnace yesterday. Happened to hit Craig's List with a search for "heat treat oven" and this one for $300 showed up about 100 miles away. I have a Thermolyne model 2000 which is a 110V unit with a max temp of around 2000 F and a 8" x 4" x 4" chamber. This one is 220V with a 15" x 9" x 9" chamber. I fired it up but didn't wait for it to get to any significant temperature. The smaller one takes about 30 minutes to get to 1575 F or the hardening point for steel. I used to harden punches and dies with an oxyacetylene torch; last time I hardened 2 punches 3" x 1/2" diameter and 2 dies 1 1/4" diameter x 5/8" thick. They used about 25 psi out of my acetylene tank which I recall costing about $100 to fill to 300 psi, so about $8.30 to harden those punches/dies. Our electric rate is around $0.10 per kilowatt hour, the small furnace costs about $0.20 per hour to run. The bigger one draws 24 A at 220 V or 5.3 KwH or $0.53 per hour to run. The torch goes a lot quicker, but is significantly (factor of 70 for the 2 punches and dies) more expensive.

Below are photos of my rigging (not my day job). I made up a base out of 2 x 6's and slid it under the furnace while still in our Traverse. Shot 5/16" lags at the corners to keep it from sliding on the base. Then made a plank out of a couple of 2x10's for sliding the furnace onto a 16" x 30" cart for its temporary home. Lagged some ratchet straps to the plank and the base and inched it out of the Traverse onto the 16" x 30" cart. Lifted it with a couple of straps and an engine hoist to slip the plank out from underneath, then set it down on the 16" x 30" cart. I think Mike Rowe said it on the old show "Dirty Jobs", "safety may not be our top priority, but it's in the top 50" . . . The furnace weighs close to 300 lbs. and was really tipsy on the 16" x 30" cart. So plan B was to clear some space off a 24" x 36" cart and drop the furnace on it. Much more stable, I'll end up making a specific stand for it, or easier yet buy a 24" x 36" cart like it ended up on for the time being and put both heat treat furnaces on it.

Thanks for looking.

Bruce

Slid a 2x6 base under the furnace while still in the car
20190530_103456.jpg

Used a couple of ratchet straps lagged to the 2x6 base and a plank to slide the furnace out of the car onto a cart.
20190530_103716.jpg

The ratchet straps worked really well for inching the furnace onto a 16" x 30" cart.
20190530_105300.jpg

Nope, no fire in the shop. They say "May is Morel (mushroom) month in Michigan". I think it's really "May is Mosquito month in Michigan)". Man, they loved me opening the 16' slider shop door. I keep a fogger in the shop just for these occasions . . . Used an engine hoist to lift the furnace enough to slip the plank out from under it. Holy cow, was it really tipsy on that 16" x 30" cart! So on to plan B . . .
20190530_113101.jpg

Cleared some space off a reinforced 24" x 36" cart and lifted it in place.
20190530_113719.jpg
20190530_114031.jpg

I'll still primarily use my smaller Thermolyne 2000 furnace with a small 8" x 4" x 4" chamber, but nice to have a 15" x 9" x 9" option.
20190530_121015.jpg

20190530_121946.jpg

The controls are pretty simple: Two breakers control the power, one for the electronic control, the other for furnace power. The temp control is set by pressing SET, then work up/down to the desired temp for each digit of the target temp.
20190530_122130.jpg

Very nice haul!

Off topic alert:
They say "May is Morel (mushroom) month in Michigan". I think it's really "May is Mosquito month in Michigan)".
I seriously envy you your location (at least in the month of May). LOVE morels, and I'd gladly brave the 'skeeters for a good haul. Pictures below are a whole day's pickin's from the woods in Oregon's Cascade mountains.

kHPIM1130.jpgkHPIM1132.jpg

Very nice haul!

Off topic alert:

I seriously envy you your location (at least in the month of May). LOVE morels, and I'd gladly brave the 'skeeters for a good haul. Pictures below are a whole day's pickin's from the woods in Oregon's Cascade mountains.

View attachment 295712View attachment 295713
Hi John,

Nice haul! We usually get around 40-50 from our property. Look by dead elms with bark peeling off for some reason.

Bruce

I'm still waiting for a time slot on the 2 lathes and Bridgeport , but I will be having lots of grinding wheels delivered to the garage tomorrow Jeff . They go with the Micromasters . Depending on how many my buddy has , I'll keep you in mind . At this point I'm still not positive on whether the SG will stay with me . :dunno: My plan is still to downsize .

I thought I did good at a yard sale, where I picked up 3 cans of R12 (one tapped, but appears to be full), a can of stop leak, and a set of AC gauges for $10. But at one of the last one we hit today, I picked up a 10 LB can of R22 (yes it is full), for a whopping $2. I have enough R12 now to get the AC in my 78 Ramcharger working, So I guess new hoses, seals, compressor, and a receiver/dryer is on my next shopping list.

0531191736-00.jpg

0531191732-00.jpg

Due to my advancing decrepitude, I find soldering (especially SMD stuff) a pain in the butt. So when I saw this on eBay for buttons, I thought hmmmm. Wonder if that would help. Guess we’ll see. ;)

It’s a PZO MST-130 stereo microscope, with 6.3x objectives. Hopefully it’s optics are ok.

I used to use one of those very microscopes at work. Very good optics. Enjoy.
I now have a zoom AO scope that I use a lot for soldering electronics. I also have a mount that allows me to use it on my little mill. They are a necessity for old tired eyes when the reading spectacles just can’t quite cut it.

The grumpy old coot

I have been looking for some large file cabinets for a while now. I finally found some that suited my needs. 18" wide and 28" deep with heavy duty roller bearing slides. I think I got a bargain at $20.00 each.
KIMG1675.jpg

Back