• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

What Did You Buy Today?

MonkMan

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
They are a French company & have been around for a while. Not very popular in the US besides those who are Eurpoean vehicles enthusiast. They're quite expensive & in my opinion some of their tools look noveltyish or too fancy. I do own a couple of their hacksaws though & like them a lot. Expensive though, made in France.

They used to own SK Tools & Facom is now owned by the Stanley Black & Decker group. They used sell Ferrari branded tools. Not sure if they were the official supplier of hand tools for Ferrari though. These days it's Beta Tools that Ferrari uses.
Thanks for the information
Paul

GoceKU

Last weekend i visited couple of tool and flea markets, there wasn't too much good tools, more woodworking stuff but in between i found this used deburring tool seems like good quality, then i found this metal scraping round ruler, and i found about 10 meters to this 3/4 by 3/4 square plastic material, it was half the price then the cheap plastics i'm buying for turning in the lathe, looks like teflon or naylon, will come in handy for future project.
DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0013.JPG DSC_0017.JPG

Alan H

I have been looking to get a decent gage block set for several months and finally landed a Mitutoyo set. It is in excellent shape, wrings nicely, and it is one of my better eBay snags. It came in the original Mitutoyo orange box with the wooden box tucked in its original plastic bag and with all the paperwork.

I got it all cleaned up and wiped down with Boeshield.

they wring.jpg

IMG_20171012_160405.jpg
Mity gage blocks.jpg

Last edited:

Ken from ontario

I almost ran out of my Tap Magic tapping oil so I thought I should try a different type, ended up buying a bottle of "Extra thick" by tap magic, tried it this afternoon on some hot rolled and cold rolled rods, it is a great product,it is is really thick, almost like cold honey so the oil doesn't get thrown all over my face or shirt like it did with the thinner oil.
10042-03365.jpg

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
I almost ran out of my Tap Magic tapping oil so I thought I should try a different type, ended up buying a bottle of "Extra thick" by tap magic, tried it this afternoon on some hot rolled and cold rolled rods, it is a great product,it is is really thick, almost like cold honey so the oil doesn't get thrown all over my face or shirt like it did with the thinner oil.
View attachment 244599
I have that same size bottle of it too. I put some in a Spillmaster. I don't use it in the winter time, it gets way too thick & I live in sunny Socal where it doesn't get cold. Good stuff but still not a replacement for the EP Xtra that I use more. I use Boelube the most but that stuff is crazy expensive. I have 2 gallons which will last me a very long time but when I run out I doubt I will buy more unless the price comes down or if Enco magically reopens.

Ken from ontario

I have that same size bottle of it too. I put some in a Spillmaster. I don't use it in the winter time, it gets way too thick & I live in sunny Socal where it doesn't get cold. Good stuff but still not a replacement for the EP Xtra that I use more. I use Boelube the most but that stuff is crazy expensive. I have 2 gallons which will last me a very long time but when I run out I doubt I will buy more unless the price comes down or if Enco magically reopens.
I just thought about our winters over here, lol.it'll be rock solid.:eek:

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
I just thought about our winters over here, lol.it'll be rock solid.:eek:
Haha! I'm still able to use it & clings onto the workpiece even better but it's kind of a pain in the butt. Slows me down & seems wasteful. It's gets thick like cold honey for me. I wonder if it gets even thicker in colder climates or if it just gets to a certain viscocity & stays that way.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Got me a new set of BFG KO2s for my truck. Won't need em until probably early next year but the deal was too good pass up. I paid $160 less than what my last set cost me.

If anyone needs tires, Discount Tires Direct is having a sale on ebay right now. $100 off $400+, good for wheels & tires, expires 10/30. https://www.ebay.com/rpp/4887?_trkparms=&clkid=8318475479999088340

Unfortunately the coupon this time is limited to 1 use per account. In the past if your tires cost more than $200 each, you could buy 2 with $100 off, then purchase another 2 with $100 off.

20171019_170833.jpg

GoceKU

Today i bought couple of tools, first was this highly used carbide insert boring bar, first i thought someone has destroyed it but checked it is not bent and has surprisingly good quality, then i found this Somet indicator, there were couple more but this was only one with a round stem for attaching, and both are at a decent price.
DSC_0015.JPG DSC_0019.JPG DSC_0020.JPG

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Scored me a set of extra long 0° offset box wrenches in mint condition. I love these wrenches! When I worked in automotive I used to always borrow these from my co-workor/mentor & I've always wanted my own set but couldn't justify the price for them new.

20171020_173225.jpg
20171020_174600.jpg
20171020_174536.jpg

uncle harry

Active User
An Ellis 1600 band saw came up on Milwaukee Craigs list. I called & was told that I could see it today between 9:00 and 3:00. The price was $ 650.
I got there @ 8:45 only to find out that he sold it last night. So I browsed over the other items available & selected several items; 1 set of 3/32 parallels, 1 set adjustable parallels (Japan), 1 3"boring head 3/4 straight shank with 3/4 boring bar set mfg. unknown, 1 Mitutoyo 12" dial caliper with cracked ctystal. 1 Huot 1/16 to 1/2 drill cabinet poulated with drills about 40%, 1 box of U.S made wrenches including Husky etc., 1 assortment of Silver & Deming Drills 1 1/2" on down-about a dozen, and a small U.S. made small tap & die set whose dies are approx. 3/4 dia. All of these for $ 170. The trip was worth my time after all.

T Bredehoft

Active User
I attended the Hobby Modeler's meet at Zanesville Ohio. Lots of really neat models, steam, Internal comustion, Sterling, Hit and Miss, V8, what have you. Musta been a couple hundred models, most in absolutely beautiful condition, shiny paint, brass, steel, highly polished wood bases, etc. I'm not a modeler, so I just gawked. I did browse the vendors, though. coulda bought a million dividers, 6" scales, many drill chucks, mikes. I did find one Albrecht 0 to 3/8" chuck, it followed me home, $30.00. Also a bunch of (4) HSS 3/8 lathe tools, 3 pieces of 1 1/4 6160 alum (these seven for $1. ea. and a nine piece selection of 12" 12/L14 round stock, one each 3/16 to 1". $14.00, that's less than shipping on any one of them.
Yeah, heres's a picture. None of the stock is for an imminent project, but we always need stuff to make things from. Oh Yeah, I fought off an Atlas shaper, bench size. Couldn't rationalize it.
Tool purchase 21 Oct 17.jpg

bss1

I have been looking for a used Millermatic 210 or 212 with spool gun for about 5 years. I’ve had a Hobart 180 for about ten years but have had the hankering to upgrade for a while. Not many come on the local used market and the ones that came up, I was either too late or they were not in good shape. They seem to go quick around here for some reason. I had only seen a few and none with a two cylinder rack. Well today was finally my day. I found the listing early, and the asking price turned out to be reasonable. I made contact with the seller and completed the sale early in the day. It was a home/hobby use unit with spool gun and was in great shape. It came equipped with the two cylinder rack with two 120 cf tanks fully charged! It also had been upgraded with a Bernard MiG gun and also came with the original Miller M25 gun as well (unused). Also included were some misc tips and a 30 lb roll of .35 steel wire and a 30 lb roll of .35 stainless wire. I usually run .30 so I’m not sure if .35 is a better fit for this machine.

7F1FE940-BDC6-4F3F-9510-9509F74F2056.jpeg
Now all I have to do is learn to weld like Firestopper!

BGHansen

I'm going to be adding a riser block to my Bridgeport, so am starting to accumulate the stuff needed to make a power draw bar. Used a 20% off coupon from HF to pick up a 1/2" 110V impact wrench. Most guys use a 3/8" butterfly air powered, but I don't want to have to listen to my compressor cycling as it sets about 3 feet from the mill (for now). I'll detail the build of the power draw bar in a thread once I get started.

Also picked up a universal chuck key. I have a number of chucks for the BP and was getting tired of fumbling for the correct key and swapping them between my three mills.

Lastly, received a toe-clamp (terminology?) kit from Shars. Don't have an application for it yet, but sold some stuff on eBay and had money burning a hole in my pocket.

20171021_151907.jpg
20171021_152002.jpg
20171021_152056.jpg
20171021_152150.jpg

richl

Active User
I got a few things from our wonderful postal service today!
20171024_124019.jpg
Ebay purchase 8 90 degree and 45 degree mill cutters. Group purchase.

20171024_124145.jpg
Nmtb30 3/4" she'll mill, and nmtb30 to mt3 toolholders, ebay group purchase.
20171024_124828.jpg
Amazon purchases

20171024_125413.jpg
Last night's shop dinner, zitti pizza slices , I did have to clean it up this morning, so it was kinda today lol

richl

Active User
Another delivery from our wonderful postal service
20171026_142520_001.jpg
Hole punches, metric and standard
Drill gauge
Metric and standard screw/bolt gauge
Thread gauge

Kinda a theme here, some items I have several of already, just can never find one when I need them, the others will help me when setting up new shop made tooling.

Rich

f350ca

Active User
Won a government auction bid on a 12 inch Di-Arco shear. They're pretty proud of these, $2700 new. This one looks like new aside from some surface rust on the table. The knives are sharp and don't look like they've ever been flipped or turned, (4 cutting edges). Tried some .036 sheet steel, beautiful burr free cut, even slices paper.
KIMG0438.jpg

Greg

firestopper

I have been looking for a used Millermatic 210 or 212 with spool gun for about 5 years. I’ve had a Hobart 180 for about ten years but have had the hankering to upgrade for a while. Not many come on the local used market and the ones that came up, I was either too late or they were not in good shape. They seem to go quick around here for some reason. I had only seen a few and none with a two cylinder rack. Well today was finally my day. I found the listing early, and the asking price turned out to be reasonable. I made contact with the seller and completed the sale early in the day. It was a home/hobby use unit with spool gun and was in great shape. It came equipped with the two cylinder rack with two 120 cf tanks fully charged! It also had been upgraded with a Bernard MiG gun and also came with the original Miller M25 gun as well (unused). Also included were some misc tips and a 30 lb roll of .35 steel wire and a 30 lb roll of .35 stainless wire. I usually run .30 so I’m not sure if .35 is a better fit for this machine.

View attachment 244836
Now all I have to do is learn to weld like Firestopper!
Hahah! I been practicing since 1978 and burned a ton as a young slave for the US Navy. Very nice machine you found. Looks new and well cared for. The machine won't care what wire you feed it so long as you use the correct wire feed tension rollers. Usually flipped, one side grooves is for .030 and other side for .035. What spool gun you running? I run the M25 whip vs the larger heavier BernardTM Q300 MIG gun. I will use it for prolonged high amperage demand. I love the 30A spoolmatic gun, It can lay nice beads.
Congrats on your upgrade amigo!
Paco

Groundhog

bss1,
We had a Miller 210 at the ski area. We ran flux core 7018 with shielding gas for the high strength steel sno-cat frame repairs, spool gun for aluminum grooming tiller repairs, straight flux core for ski lift repairs (wherever we could transform 480 3 phase to 230 single phase from snowmaking power), on and on. Out of 4 welders that machine was the go-to machine whenever possible. Since you have been looking for one you already know the pros and (the few) cons. A pretty nice machine. Wish I had one in my personal shop.

firestopper

Our local Industrial Metal Supply (IMS) store is celebrating five year anniversary (in Tucson) today and tomorrow with 20% off all store items and 50% off all remnants.
Picked up 2",1.5",1.375",1" x 12" CR,1" x 36" T6 aluminum, and 3/4" x 30" A-1. Also grabbed two Shaviv de-burring tools.
Saved over $40 :D
IMG_1840.JPG

wlburton

90 degree and 45 degree double bevel cutters, bought the 7 of them on ebay as a group. 1" arbor
View attachment 244759
richl--

I have quite a few cutters of various kinds that came with my Atlas mill and, as a beginner, I have a couple of questions that I hope you might be able to answer, since it looks like you may be buying used cutters. I believe mine are all used, and my first question is: how can I determine if they need to be sharpened? All the ones I've tried do cut metal, but I don't have enough experience to know if they're cutting as well as they should. A few have chipped teeth and I've discarded them, but most look pretty good. The second question follows from the first: where can you get cutters like this sharpened, and is it cost effective to do so? If you or anyone else has any input on this I would appreciate it!

Bill Burton

dlane

Active User
Wlburton, you might try asking that question in the questions or beginner sub form ,

Container Above bottom breadcrumb