What Did You Buy Today?

You beat me to it. If the vise itself is decent, just bolt it to your table and true it up. The vise itself can be improved with a little work also. Took the base off my 6" shortly after I got it, and I've used it once in the last 10 years. Mike

What's not to like ? Take the swivel base off and set it aside for the day you need it .

I've found it strange that members on here don't like a swivel base for whatever reason . Maybe lack of Z depth ? I used the swivel damn near everyday on the BPs . I can see not needing one on CNCs but manuals ? What's the beef with them ? :dunno:

Part of the reason I don't want a swivel base is the mill it will go on has a rotating table, and I don't like the idea of two rotating objects as they can get mixed up results.

I've found it strange that members on here don't like a swivel base for whatever reason . Maybe lack of Z depth ? I used the swivel damn near everyday on the BPs . I can see not needing one on CNCs but manuals ? What's the beef with them ? :dunno:
inheritance machining did a video last week where he ended up finding his error was due to flex caused by the swivel on his vise... that being said i wish i had the swivel for mine just in case i need it

I received this small mill vise:

and I am not too happy with it. The worst packing job, and I don't think any thing is damaged, but I wouldn't be too sure. I also think it is bigger then I will need, and it turns out I don't need a rotating vise. So, I am gonna hold onto it for a little bit, see if I can find something better, and then make a decision.

Can you not use it without the rotating base? Just a thought.

inheritance machining did a video last week where he ended up finding his error was due to flex caused by the swivel on his vise... that being said i wish i had the swivel for mine just in case i need it

I'll have to watch it. I remember reading when I was starting to learn that rotating vise bases were not recommended for rigidity reasons. They look pretty sturdy if properly tightened down, but I skipped it due to that. My Kurt doesn't have one, I think you have to buy them separately, but I think my old vise has one. If you are going for "normal" tolerances, I suspect it would be fine if it's reasonably sturdy.

Back