What Did You Buy Today?

Shars 0-6" micrometer set.
Just can't justify the cost of a better quality set. Have the 0-3" set but basically bought this to get the 4/5/6. At some point as my skills improve I suspect I'll end up with a better set, but hopefully these will still serve as a shop set.
IMG_5354.JPG

Just can't justify the cost of a better quality set. Have the 0-3" set but basically bought this to get the 4/5/6. At some point as my skills improve I suspect I'll end up with a better set, but hopefully these will still serve as a shop set.
View attachment 483566
I think they will be accurate enough, they may not feel as nice as Mits, or B&S, but they will do. I like the feel of my Mit better than my Starrett, But my mit is pre plastic lock lever.

Do take them apart and check them out. Clean and oil if necessary.

I'm sure they will be more than adequate. The vast majority of the micrometers I have are at least as old as I am if not older. I inherited several and bought some from used equipment dealers. The only ones I purchased new were Staretts from 1" to 3" when I started in a machine shop in the mid 1980's. The vast majority are Staretts, with a few B&S thrown in for luck. The set I carry on the road is a 1"- 4" BlackHawk micrometers. All of them are dead accurate even in their extended years. Just to make sure they read as intended I have a standard for each size and check them regularly.

As long as the misc chores list hasn't devolved into a scroll, you're probably good! Lol

Really want to add 4-5, and 5-6 to my collection here. Passed up on a 0-12 kit a few years ago. Still kicking myself...

As long as the misc chores list hasn't devolved into a scroll, you're probably good! Lol

Really want to add 4-5, and 5-6 to my collection here. Passed up on a 0-12 kit a few years ago. Still kicking myself...
I acquired some large mics but have never had to use them yet. The largest I have used is 2-3.. my 3-4, 4-5 have not been used yet. I think I have a 5-6, but not sure.

Thus the reason they're not in the collection yet. But the OCD part of me really wants them to be... Lol
Being there's no need yet, you can find the one you want hopefully in a timely manner B4 you need it. If not you can spend $$$ on the size you need

Back