What Cameras Are You Using In The Shop

I use a Windows phone Lumia 950XL. Apparently the best camera phone out there. The rest of the phone is awesome too. This is cropped from a larger photo that was handheld in my shop with no flash.
24963395011_06aa234cc7_o.jpg

I use my iPhone regularly to photograph blind bolts working on my vehicles. GM likes to make a game out of "which type of bolt head will we use for this head? torx/hexagon/allen/something else

image.jpeg I have a iPad mini that has been great to use in the shop for pictures. It's easier to get a project put back together with some good pics.

image.jpeg

Well, I am really liking my Olympus. I have already spilled coolant on it. A quick trip to the sink and it was all clean!

Here are a couple of shots I have taken. The first demonstrates the really incredible macro feature. The other is just a picture.

Closeup of PM5.jpg
For scale, that scratch mark by the black blob is around 1/8" long

PM5 frame.jpg

Cheers,

Tom

Edited to include a verb.

Last edited:
I have a simple inexpensive fuji finepix JZ100. My biggest problem is lighting. Either too much reflection of metal stuff or when working with white acrylic it is washed out. Overhead is a fluorescent fairly high color temp as well as two led 5000k led lamps.

David

for shiny objects, the closer you get the light to the subject, the dimer the reflection of the light gets in relation to the over all exposure. If you can get the camera in manual exposure mode you can get better photos, the highlights make the exposure meter think there is more light than there really is. To get more detail in white objects, place a black card just out of the frame. The reflection of the black card will reveal more detail and texture in light colored objects.

Most P&S will work. If one has a flash control, that allows a soft flash or low power that even better. As sometimes when you are in the wrong position all you get is a white over exposed image. I have a old Pentax P&S, Dslrs and now a borescope that plugs into a USB port to use in the shop.
Pierre

What kind of USB borescope are you using?

Just one of the multiple available on Amazon. There are so many available with different diameters and resolutions. I bought a 5.5mm sized one. This will fit down a .22 barrel. Total cost of $15 delivered.

Back