What Cameras Are You Using In The Shop

tomw

Registered
Registered
Dear All,

I am thinking about getting a camera. It would primarily be used in the shop. Right now I am using my iPhone, and it's limitations, particularly for close-up shots, is getting frustrating.

What cameras do you all use in the shop or at work for recording disassembly, assembly, repair, machining, and other mechanical arts?

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Tom

I've found that my smart phone camera does everything fine. Easy to transfer images to my desk top.

Any camera will do just remember to resize your pictures down to the small size before you upload them to the site. It will save you upload time and they will load faster on your post for others to see.
For pictures to show on a smart phone try to size them down to 240 X 320
Desk top and laptop work well at 640 X 480
*****Just Saying*******Gator**********hiding.gif**********

hiding.gif

I'm using a Cannon G12 and purchased it specifically for its close-up ability, you can position the lens within 0.400 inches from the object and still focus. It must be 8 years old now, I'm not sure what's available in new cameras today but it still works like new using the original battery which still holds a charge.

Its also idiot proof, while the camera has all the manual adjustments camera pros like I leave the thing in auto mode because I'm a photography idiot. Here are a few close up shots, it will zoom in even closer. I was doing a lot of treasure hunting at the time and purchased the camera to take extreme close-up's of small coin mint errors, date overstrikes, etc.

The small tap is 8-32, all photos taken in 1600x1200 mode.

This is a drawbar close up 7/16-20 note how it picks up the grain of the metal on the left and the turning marks on the right.

Even closer on the same drawbar,

End of a Lyndex 1/2 inch collet

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a little Canon PowerShot Elph 330 HS. It is a much better and more capable camera than my iPhone. In fact, I like it better than the big Nikon SLR I got rid of. It has a great automatic lens cover, a decent flash, good size view screen, simple user friendly controls, and will macro right down to couple inches. It also has good wide angle which is helpful when taking pictures inside a room in cramped spaces.

I think the new model is an Elph 350.

For good photos, I think just as important as which camera you use to use image editing software to adjust contrast, exposure, boost shadow detail and sharpen focus. I always shoot on the highest resolution available on the camera and after post processing, adjust to an appropriate resolution for posting. I use Apple's Preview. I have PhotoShop, but rarely need it.

canon elph 330.jpg

Canon powershots are very nice little cameras. They have very nice macro capabilities.

Any camera will do just remember to resize your pictures down to the small size before you upload them to the site. It will save you upload time and they will load faster on your post for others to see.
For pictures to show on a smart phone try to size them down to 240 X 320
Desk top and laptop work well at 640 X 480
*****Just Saying*******Gator**********View attachment 116622**********

View attachment 116621

I prefer to size to inches. Pixels don't really mean anything to me.

For a simple unclutered image (like a screw or bolt sized thing), I size it to 2 to 4 inches wide with a resolution of 100 dpi.
For more complicated images (like a lathe or mill) I go up to 6 or 7 inches at 100 dpi.
On larger images I pay attention to the height. You don't want to go much taller than 6 inches so people can see it without scrolling.

Its worth noting I get better detail taking photos at 1600x1200 then reducing them to 800x600 for posting online vs just taking the photo in 800x600 mode. I don't know why.

One of the downsides to using a smartphone, is that they encode orientation into the data, causing images to post sideways or upside down when uploaded and posted. Sometimes you can over-ride that by using image editing software, but not always. I think the technical term is "random computer doo doo."

I don't post a lot of photos but do use the phone for use in the shop.

Back