What are we coming to?

I also have my Bluetooth headphones going a lot. Books, music, some podcasts(Lex Friedman). It’s about the only thing my cell is good for as I almost never talk on it, text every once in a while.
You and @rabler struck something here! I'm all about the bluetooth headphones. Sometimes I listen to subject-matter podcasts (if they're well-organized, not just useless dudes jaw-jacking), but I really love the audio books. I listen to them when I get ready in the morning and on my walk to and from work. I listen in the shop if i'm not doing work that requires concentration (machining, math). It's fine for say, degreasing a transmission or blasting parts. And of course tidying and cleaning. There is a lot of available audio book time to be had. :cool:

I usually watch the Bachelor, Bachelorette, Big Brother, My 600lb life, reruns of Beavis and Butthead, Dr. Pimple Popper, Swamp People, and any other highly educational show I can find. :laughing:

In all honesty, I do watch some prime-time shows for, well, the fun of it. It's entertainment after all. The Good Doctor, New Amsterdam, and Bull (although that one is being canceled) are a few that I watch. I have my laptop on my lap and during commercials, I read this forum or research other things that I might be working on, so the commercials are a non-issue to me (we mute them anyhow).

There are a lot of movies that are really, really good that have been made in the last 15 years, so occasionally I will watch one with the wife. We mostly stream them and rarely go to a theatre.
We really can't reliably get TV over an antenna due to the distance from the towers, coupled with the wooded area we live in. Can't get cable here so we are limited to the internet and services like YouTube TV. Unfortunately, my wife is tied to the TV. Maybe if I got rid of the TV she would leave me :idea:

I listen to audiobooks and have gone through a lot of them since I started doing that. Anything written by Bill Bryson along with WWII history of mostly the Pacific side of things. Currently listening to Blind Man's Bluff by Sherry Sontag. It is fascinating.

When my son still lived here he used to watch comedy central, and that was quite good depending on the comedian. We don't watch that anymore, maybe we should. I forgot we do watch America's Funniest Videos... not last night, we watched the Duke game. My Wife went to St. Peter's so she is really stoked about this year..

^^^ Yeah, that was a pretty good game. I had it on in my shop (I have a 50" flat screen in my shop) and was watching that while I putzed around.

You and @rabler struck something here! I'm all about the bluetooth headphones. Sometimes I listen to subject-matter podcasts (if they're well-organized, not just useless dudes jaw-jacking), but I really love the audio books. I listen to them when I get ready in the morning and on my walk to and from work. I listen in the shop if i'm not doing work that requires concentration (machining, math). It's fine for say, degreasing a transmission or blasting parts. And of course tidying and cleaning. There is a lot of available audio book time to be had. :cool:
Absolutely ditto. It’s funny it depends on the book and what’s going on whether I have to pause it. I used to think audio books were for illiterate but the only time I have to read was before bed and in the last decade or so I can’t even read a paragraph before shutdown. Drives my wife crazy as my head doesn’t even bounce twice before I’m out and I’ve never been like this. So audio books are a boon for me because so much of my day of twice daily dog walks and mindless automatic shop time can now be filled with books. My only gripe is there are some old books that I would love to read but haven’t been done audio. I’ve not tried the kindle robo read, anybody use that?

Absolutely ditto. It’s funny it depends on the book and what’s going on whether I have to pause it. I used to think audio books were for illiterate but the only time I have to read was before bed and in the last decade or so I can’t even read a paragraph before shutdown. Drives my wife crazy as my head doesn’t even bounce twice before I’m out and I’ve never been like this. So audio books are a boon for me because so much of my day of twice daily dog walks and mindless automatic shop time can now be filled with books. My only gripe is there are some old books that I would love to read but haven’t been done audio. I’ve not tried the kindle robo read, anybody use that?
Back in the day, I was traveling to Vermont every weekend to ski. 5 hours each way. I would take a bunch of audio books out from the library near where I worked (ours had none).. It made the trip so much nicer. I often wondered how did I get here. It helped avoid the bored sleepy condition... If I got in traffic or whatever I could rewind if I missed something. Those were the cassette days..

Drives my wife crazy as my head doesn’t even bounce twice before I’m out and I’ve never been like this.
When can I look forward to this happening? I squirm for an hour trying to get to sleep. I just got my first pair of bifocals, does that mean I'm getting close?

When can I look forward to this happening? I squirm for an hour trying to get to sleep. I just got my first pair of bifocals, does that mean I'm getting close?
Be careful what you wish for there John. If this was tv the disclaimer to this ad would be a mile long with the bad side effects of gettin’ old. Like my dad used to say getting old ain’t for faint o’ heart.

Back