What are we coming to?

PBS "Passport"

We watch a lot of PBS series and doc's but even they are starting to "sneak" in a lot of 'CRAP" in almost every show subject they deal with, most of which have nothing to do with the story line but they sure try to make it so.
Makes me want to just get up and leave the room much of the time.
Sure glad I have my shop to retreat to!!:)

Last edited:
My TV viewing is mostly concerned with public television and shows like Nova. I watch some of the British crime shows and the Masterpiece mini series showings. I laso follow some shows like the Ken Burns documentaries. I usuallly catch the local news before at 10:00 PM. Aside from that, an occasional old movie

I don't watch the law and order type (L&O, CSI, FBI, NCIS, etc.) shows and have never watched the reality tv shows. Game shows hold no interest for me whatsoever. I don't watch any sitcoms.

We don't have cable service so our viewing is limited to on air shows. About a year ago, our LG smart TV added around 100 streaming video channels to our optionss. I haven't bothered watching any of them. My viewing habits revolve around my computer monitor and instructive You Tube videos and I spend more time on HM than on viewing TV.

I quit TV by the time I was 15 years old. I just can't understand why anyone would pay to have 20 minutes of commercials pumped into their living room for every hour of "programming". I watch about 2 hours of carefully selected on-demand per week with the wife, but that's it. I can't really deal with YouTube either, too slow of a content delivery system for technical info. Drives me nuts. I prefer to read (and read and read). Maybe it's my ADHD. Not always a bad thing, really.

These “what are we coming to” kinds of thoughts have been going on for a long time. Here’s what Socrates said:

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

Edit: for the younger audience, Socrates said this a couple thousand years ago. :)

Last edited:
My current TV habits:

Curse of Oak Island - I'm addicted. Probably staged and scripted but I'm all in on this.
NHL games
Currently somebody suggested "The Wire" on HBO. This is good writing.

We will watch a movie as a family once a weekend. Other than that, I use YouTube to find machining and DIY videos to learn how to do something.
Bryan, I don't get the oak island thing. I watched 2 episodes years ago, and back then I thought WTH.. this is all a losing proposition, they get you hooked, and reel you in... you are a fish on their line.. Other than that, there's nothing going on. I guarantee, if you watched one episode, you watched them all.

Sport's are good.

You tube is my TV.
I watch on TV News, Jeopardy.. Sports (sometimes I listen but don't watch)..
I read a ton of news online.. I try to get a view from multiple sides.. Sometimes I am totally shocked at the difference in reporting.

Charles @savarin I agree. But there is nothing we can do. I am shocked sometimes when talking with people.. there are very few brain cells in there. Some days at work it felt like no one got any work done, the bachelor, survivor, etc were all they talked about all day. I was working hard, and they were rehashing the nothingness of TV...

I quit TV by the time I was 15 years old. I just can't understand why anyone would pay to have 20 minutes of commercials pumped into their living room for every hour of "programming". I watch about 2 hours of carefully selected on-demand per week with the wife, but that's it. I can't really deal with YouTube either, too slow of a content delivery system for technical info. Drives me nuts. I prefer to read (and read and read). Maybe it's my ADHD. Not always a bad thing, really.
I have to agree witht his. We had dish network and didn't use it more than a few hours a month for the two years we had it, and that mostly for an occasional news program, which I can better read via an online newspaper. And yes, a 30 minute YouTube for demonstrating a one paragraph concept is tough to sit through. It does work as a 3am insomnia cure.

I tend to use a bluetooth headset while I'm working to listen to audio books, news, etc. That way I'm mowing or cleaning or doing something else other than butt planted in chair.

Back