What are we coming to?

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been watching a couple of documentaries on TV over the last few weeks ranging from Archeological to various sciences and it reminded me of what we all expected TV was going to become.
The great educator, the uplifting force for humanity.
Instead what did we end up with but endless moronic so called reality shows such as survivor, married at first sight, etc etc. where the most important revalation is who lost an eyelash or a fingernail.
And what must be the icing on the cake of imbecility -- "Goggle box"
Who the h*** came up with this idea?
Lets make a TV program watching asinine mindless dimwitted morons watching TV.
The fact this show is reasonably successful just goes to show how far down the evolutionary ladder we have fallen.
Probably as bad as placing best before dates on salt.

you can turn a knob or push a button... I won't watch that crap!! But I know what you're saying,, For us here in New England you don't get to select your stations either, it's all a bundle or group package... and "they" are always pushing movies.. I haven't watched a movie in probably 5 years! Besides the charges continue to rise and "they" are now at my threshold - about ready to say goodbye and go back to an antenna.

My current TV habits:

Curse of Oak Island - I'm addicted. Probably staged and scripted but I'm all in on this.
NHL games
Currently somebody suggested "The Wire" on HBO. This is good writing.

We will watch a movie as a family once a weekend. Other than that, I use YouTube to find machining and DIY videos to learn how to do something.

you can turn a knob or push a button... I won't watch that crap!! But I know what you're saying,, For us here in New England you don't get to select your stations either, it's all a bundle or group package... and "they" are always pushing movies.. I haven't watched a movie in probably 5 years! Besides the charges continue to rise and "they" are now at my threshold - about ready to say goodbye and go back to an antenna.
I reached that threshold about 20 years ago. The video quality (visual, not talking about content) was marginal at the time. You know it's bad when you get better picture quality with a rabbit ear antenna than the cable, so I cut the cord. 20 years ago put up an antenna on the roof. Still works. Easily saved thousands of expenses over the years. I just don't get spending hundreds a month on cable TV.

With streaming now, can't see a reason to ever use cable again.

I got in the 60’s tv was far more annoying than it was entertaining. Then I discovered documentaries which became my oasis’s in the ever expanding desert that is tv. I was blessed to have roommates who didn’t need tv so didn’t have one for 15yrs after leaving home. We have cable internet with Netflix, HBO and Amazon. Between true crime and random docuseries like the one we just finished Inventing Anna there is a glut of scam artist docuseries on the three services. I used to like the History channel but Oak Island is the perfect example of why I totally avoid anything that has that big H associated with it. The sad thing is the AI controlled content now once we get off on a stupid tangent it’s really hard to steer it back. YouTube now is flooded outside of DIY with disinformation it seems. We are living the movie Wag the Dog it seems.

NHL games
You know ? I was watching a NHL Toronto game the other day and called my son ( who now lives in Toronto ) about coming up and possibly watching a game . He says the team plays right next door to him but the tickets are always sold out at $1000s @ piece . I guess corporate sponsors ? I'll have to settle for TV for now . :grin:

Back